Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Boy 21" Push Mower

I've been on the look out for a $400 to $500 21". Walked into a Tractor Supply and noticed a lady pushing a new Bad Boy 21" out. Talked to the sales rep and no more floor models but explained people really seemed to like them. Went home to do alittle research on them. Noticed they do have the "upgraded" BS commercial motor in it. All features of the mid range mowers and wheels seem to be beefed up abit. One goofy thing is I cant find one review of thing using google. I guess without handeling one it hard to check the quality but what is others views or experience with this machine? I understand this isn't a commercial push or the fact its not better then a Exmark 21". Thanks for any input.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

never knew they made a 21'' mower. i never see there mowers for sale at tsc. i know you can order them, but they are cheap and small.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

They started making them recently, I haven't used one yet, but plan on purchasing one for my next 21. they have a large hp Briggs engine and are less than half the price of an exmark
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i looked at the swivel wheel mower on thier web site. it looks the same as a deere js45 pos. even the drive looks the same as i had 2 pos js40. which tsc did you go to?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman11 View Post
They started making them recently, I haven't used one yet, but plan on purchasing one for my next 21. they have a large hp Briggs engine and are less than half the price of an exmark
Posted via Mobile Device
The briggs engine is good enough, have an old version intek with over 500 hrs, few problems and runs great.

I'd focus more on the mower itself: wheels, gears (probably plastic) and the variable speed drive is a "controlled slip" belt etc.....
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They are cheap homeowner junk. Do a search in these forums and you can read all about them. As I recall, the same mower, in different paint, is being sold at one of the big box stores, like Walmart or Home Cheapo. They are on no way suitable for day-in, day-out commercial use.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yah no swivel wheels those look like a mess. Was thinking beat the crap out of it for one year then park it at a apartment that needs a new mower soon. The real mower I want is suppose to be a year out.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman11 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Because they run the POS Briggs engine.

Don't sugar-coat it with the "large hp" line..... it's still a Briggs.

Thanks, but not thanks.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like an orange John Deere to me. My locall dealer Has Bad Boy ZTRs on the floor but not these, seems to me they would sell them if they would hold up.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDMcgowan View Post
I've been on the look out for a $400 to $500 21". Walked into a Tractor Supply and noticed a lady pushing a new Bad Boy 21" out. Talked to the sales rep and no more floor models but explained people really seemed to like them. Went home to do alittle research on them. Noticed they do have the "upgraded" BS commercial motor in it. All features of the mid range mowers and wheels seem to be beefed up abit. One goofy thing is I cant find one review of thing using google. I guess without handeling one it hard to check the quality but what is others views or experience with this machine? I understand this isn't a commercial push or the fact its not better then a Exmark 21". Thanks for any input.
I bought one in April. I only use it maybe 3 to 4 hours a week. I have a Snapper Pro 36 WB that works in most places.

I've had no problems so far. Very powerful and fast. Same mower as the JD JS 65 at Lowes.

For the price of 399 it may hold up long enough. They are on sell at my local TSC store for 299 now. You could buy 3 of these and throw them away and still be less money than the Exmark.