Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i guess this answers the personal/business use question...

http://www.ruderware.com/resourcecen...dEmployees.htm

my point is our employees are already paying for their own cell phones, typically $80/month...

my first thought was take it out of their paycheck and us, the company, make the payment so there is never an issue of it being turned off and it would be a write-off, also one more thing they don't have to worry about every month...on second thought, that's not much of a benefit on their part...

i would love to pay for their phones but a few of them already make over $13/hour which is starting to get expensive for a mow crew, and if we added a phone bill to that it would get expensive

i'm just thinking out loud, obviously haven't come up with many ideas yet...seems the consensus is most companies don't offer to pay for phones?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why bother? Sounds like more of a headache waiting to explode than anything else.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the past I have worked at 2 different companies that provided employees with cell phones, both operated pretty much the same. 1 job I was a delivery driver, they provided us with a cell phone and basic plan (before texting) which the company paid for. All other company phones were on the same plan so it didn't take any minutes to call any other phone in the company, your monthly plan included 400 minutes which you could use for personal calls. If you went over your minutes the overages were directly deducted from your paycheck.

Second job was a construction company where only the foremen were given company cell phones however other than that it operated exactly the same. Set number of minutes provided by the company, you go over you pay for it. This way seems more effective for a landscaping company, I don't really see any reason that every person on a mowing crew needs a company phone.

Another option is to put a company paid phone in each truck and whoever is running the truck each day is responsible for the phone for the day, that's how we do it at my current full time job on the ambulance.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have worked at one place where we were given phones. You picked up the phone each morning inside the shop and returned it that night. Each foreman was given a phone.

The plan was with with Cingular. You talked to everyone on the network for free and personal calls were not allowed(no way of monitoring unless studying the bill). It was pretty sloppy as most guys took them home and took advantage of it. People were continuously leaving it at home, losing, or damaging the phone.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I Don't use phone, I use Radio
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-...ios/RDX+Series
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Supervisors/crew leaders should have company paid cell phones. Why would the other employees need a cell phone when they are on the clock?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Why are you looking for more overhead?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Supervisors/crew leaders should have company paid cell phones. Why would the other employees need a cell phone when they are on the clock?
Thats how I do it. I consider it a perk for the crew leaders. For what it costs us on a business plan its not that bad and verizon now has unlimited talk but has limits on data. I only have one foreman with a iphone the rest are just regular phones. I pay for the phone but they are responsible if it gets broken or lost before the 2 year upgrade comes up. I have had to replace broken phones several times in the last few years and took the cost out of there paychecks.

I also see this as something that the employee places a higher value on. They know if they consider leaving for a better job they will lose the phone.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You garnished wages to replace a phone?
Posted via Mobile Device