Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Did you have any orange cones out behind the trailer?

I am not suggesting the presence of cones would have prevented this. But, I always wonder how much difference, if any, they make. I use one at the rear corner of the trailer, or behind the end gate, if I'm on a inside curve.

You have no pictures of the rear of the trailer. But, from the pics you did post, the rear of the trailer looks in good shape (yes, end gate knocked off). Making the truck jackknife, driving the curb-side wheel into the turf, took some real force. The rear of the trailer does not look like much force was applied there. Where do you think the offending vehicle hit the trailer, corner, or middle?

I always have this fear, but it has never happened.
I did not have any cones but I will probably get some now. In this case, I think it was probably a matter of someone texting or somehow simply not paying attention so they probably wouldn't have helped, but any precaution is better than none.

The trailer was hit on the left corner. We think it was a dually truck and looking at the damage, I'm starting to think that the only thing that actually hit the trailer was the front tire, if that is even possible.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

It looks like a nice neighborhood where the speed limit wouldn't be very high. The vehicle must have been moving pretty fast to have pushed your suburban that much. There's a bunch of other work vehicles in the back ground. It's hard to believe that no one heard anything. Did the cop go ask around or just say it wasn't your day?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The guys next door were outside all afternoon but they had been working up in the attic for about an hour when this happened and said they hadn't heard anything either. They went driving around looking for the guy but never found anything.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

WOW.. that had to be a truck or big SUV to do that and pull away, Glad your alright.. How did you get your truck out? 4x4 or some chains and another truck?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's quite an impact. Hope your Suburban's alignment survived. Prolly worth checking to make sure.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSLLC View Post
WOW.. that had to be a truck or big SUV to do that and pull away, Glad your alright.. How did you get your truck out? 4x4 or some chains and another truck?
4x4, it drove right out which was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
That's quite an impact. Hope your Suburban's alignment survived. Prolly worth checking to make sure.
Yeah, I'm going to get it checked over good. I noticed a crack in my windshield this morning that wasn't there yesterday morning, so it must have put a lot of torque on the frame to do that.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out your hitch, you should remove it and replace the bolts. I've inspected many that were involved in rear impact collisions that pulled the bolts through the frame, or sheered the bolts. Most hitch specialty shops will gladly give you new bolts if they carry the brand. To bend the trailer a-frame that much there must have been a very dramatic impact through the hitch. Hitches are not engineered to take excess force that direction. Safety 1st!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
To bend the trailer a-frame that much there must have been a very dramatic impact through the hitch. Hitches are not engineered to take excess force that direction. Safety 1st!
It looks like the hitch was almost ripped off of the A frame. It would surprise me if the trailer isn't jacked up too and totaled.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM

Could it have been somebody with a guard on the front of their truck? They didn't like you parking in their way(or just for fun) so they pushed you off the road. Competitor? Maybe they is why no one heard a impact noise and no signs of damage to the other vehicle. Pushing a little trailer against a SUV would really damage the trailer. Just guessing

Last edited by Charles; 01-23-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man that is just awful. Include me in the "I can't believe no one saw or heard anything" club. Looks like it might have been a heavy truck, trash pickup or delivery type. I assume the officer went door to door canvasing the neighborhood.