Register free!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

posts for deck above patio

hey guys. This is probably simple and I am more than likely just over thinking this. I am currently working on a large proposal that will have a new deck installed as well as a full patio that will run beneath it. My question for you guys with more experience, how do you do the footings for the deck so that they are not seen and the patio pavers go flush agains the posts. Normally, here the footings are 6" or so above the grade.

What I am thinking is to have the footings level with the finished height of the compacted base. Then run my sand and lay the patio as normal right up to the posts. Will this allow for enough drainage around the post so that we do not have to worry about the bottom of the posts sitting in water?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, you're over thinking.

I presume the deck posts will be planted in the ground. This reduces sway. As opposed to setting the post ontop of the concrete footing.

simply stop the concrete a few inches below grade. No need for the concrete to protrude above grade.

All that matters is that the deck does not sway. And that the posts are at your regional frostline. Being above grade has no bearing on those aspects.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks DVS, I was hoping you would chime in, I figured I was just over thinking it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you responsible for the deck, or is another contractor? Down here embedded posts is the way to go since our frost depth is only 24", but I know up where you are it can be at least 36" so guys do post anchors on a sonotube.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will be subbing out the deck construction to another contractor. We designed it for the look we were looking for, then handed him our design so he could provide me with a proposal and he could determine the size/number/location of posts. Up here the standard practice is 8-10"x48" sono tube. I believe code does not alow for embedding posts for elevated structures. We'll be digging and pouring all the tubes for the deck, so we can be sure they are set to the final grade we are looking for. We'll be pouring for tubes and pads for the outdoor kitchen and fireplace as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds reasonable. What I've done in several cases where we've done a patio right up to deck posts is a base moulding w/ mitered 2x6 trim and a 2x4 trim capital moulding against the beam. Lets us have a bigger gap between the post and the pavement to allow for movement, and it looks more finished than a straight post shwanking through the patio.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Around here you need to maintain 6" above soils and 1" above concrete with all wood members. Sunken posts are not done anymore. You just trim out some nice casings around the footing. If you need large 20"ers than switch over to permacolumns on a pad or build dummy columns around it. Sunken may be more sway resistant, but when the post collapses sway resistance wont matter.