Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

2012 scag mower bagging belt problems

I bought a 2012 scag tiger cat 52" mower with bagging system have less than 30 hours on the mower and less than 10 on the bagging system. My problem is the belt keeps stretching and breaking the new kevlar crap belts that are supposed to be so good. What peed me off is when i purchased the mower it said it had a 2 year warranty the bagging system was not on it. Got the bagging system a week later and noticed it said the warranty 90 days. well i broke 2 belts so i am on my 3rd belt. Has anyone else had this problem. Since i installed the bagger i took it back to make sure i had it hooked up right he adjusted cut and welded on the bagger part to make it fit better. It still breaks belts . This is not cost effective. Has anyone had a problem with there bagging system belt. I am considering using a rubber belt. Has anyone went this route and came out with good results. Ps i did not hit nothing with the belt
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

2012 scag mower bagging belt problems

I picked up the same mower in December and the dealer kept stressing to engage the pto a little above half throttle then slowly raise it to full throttle to prevent breaking the collection system belt. He also gave me an extra one and said sooner or later it will break
Scag Tiger Cat 52'' w/ Bagger
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks esmit108 for the quick reply. I asked the dealer at where i bought the mower because another dealer said engage half throttle. My dealer said full throttle. What size deck and engine did get and what model. Mine is a tiger cat, 27 horsepower, 52" /i will try half throttle thank you
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I ended up getting the 24 kawi with the 52" and suspension seat. I picked it up in December and only got to put 2 hours on it cause it started to snow here in Ohio. Dealer gave me a good deal on it and the collection system. Maybe I will break my share of belts too, we will see in the spring