Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Contract - Lock in OR Satisfaction guaranteed?

As far as resi accounts go, do you like to lock in ? Obvious safety and work cut out for you OR do you prefer to guaranty that your work will satisfy the customer and allow them the option to drop you? How do you go about your business?

P.S. Was also thinking, lock them in but reserve the right to drop them!

Share!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For residential customers, this is probably a moot point. No matter what may be written on a piece of paper, if you show up, and another LCO has already done the work, you are OUT. The likelihood of getting further payment, beyond what work you have already done, is zero. The customer has chosen to work with somebody else, and chosen to pay them.

"Guaranteed satisfaction" is subjective. In some cases, you may not wish to be on the provider end of that arrangement. Some people will never be satisfied.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are trying to get more new customers to sign up, having a perceived safety net and less risk (for the customer) of no lock-in contract makes it easier for people to try you out.

And if you find you have lots of people signing up and leaving later, it might be a sign there's a bigger problem. Of course, once you know the problem, you can fix it (the faster the better).

I guess you have to ask yourself if you want to work for people that are just waiting for a contract to end so they can get out of an arrangement.

If they really want to ditch you, they probably will. And your time may be better spent on other things than enforcing a contract.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mine say either party can cancel by phone or mail. That may scare you since it means they can fire you well yes there is that but that seldom ever happens mid season. Were talking a 1-2% loss to that. But what it is doing is freeing me up to do the same. I find out the person is insane or incredibly rude an abusive. Or I find the job has somehow grown into an unprofitable and unfixable situation it lets me bow out and cut my losses.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why work for someone who can't stand you?