Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cat skid vs bobcat skid

I'm kicking the idea around of getting a skid sometime this season I've demoed both and at first liked the bobcat but I got transferred to some old sales man and when I came back he wouldent let me dive any cuz the fact I'm not 16 so after that I was leaning toward the cat alot more when I went to look at the cats I was like 20 mins late guy Dident care put me in a machine within 10 mins and I was driving 3 different machines for a hour around the yard he also gave me some free stuff hats calendars that stuff and told me if I purchase one and I need a an atachment for a day or two I can use it for free if the machines down hell bring me a replacement my real question is what machine do you guys perfer/performs better i was looking at the bobcat t650 or 750 or the cat 259 or 279 if the bobcat performs better would it be ok going with the worse dealer support? Also the bobcat dealer is just a small dealer the cat does everything and has onsite service trucks and the cat sales guy said I could have the machine for a week or two if I had a job as my demo, it seems like I would have much better support from cat then bobcat. Hopefully buying a 40k plus machine I want to make the right decision. Anyone's opinions on the different machines or the dealer support?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

We run a Cat and like it. The dealer support is key and I would not buy from someone that was less than helpful when I was looking to spend that much money.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My brother owns a 277C and it is a kick ass machine to spend all day in. Our Bobcat dealer gave him the usual snub nose cold shoulder treatment, and that's how we ended up with a Cat. No regrets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The cat I also felt Roomey in the bobcat I felt squished like once the the bobcat guy knew I was 14 he basiclay blew me off Dident let me drive them anything I think the cat will be a better machine anyway
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
My brother owns a 277C and it is a kick ass machine to spend all day in. Our Bobcat dealer gave him the usual snub nose cold shoulder treatment, and that's how we ended up with a Cat. No regrets.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was gonna look at that one but he said the tracks and rollers wear more on those vs the steel rollers on the 2-9 series instead of the 2-7 series so ill problay end up with the 279 or 289 same machine just more vertical lift I think he said
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

But uhhh, $40,000 is not exactly what the models you mentioned are priced at, last time I checked, a 279C was around $65,000. And being that young, you will need a co-signer with a good credit history. The Cat dealer may have been a nice experience, but they do not sell a machine to anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock Lawns View Post
I was gonna look at that one but he said the tracks and rollers wear more on those vs the steel rollers on the 2-9 series instead of the 2-7 series so ill problay end up with the 279 or 289 same machine just more vertical lift I think he said
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow. You better REALLY save some money. $72,000++ for that size after tax.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Connor, I think you are getting in way over your head with a new skid steer. Unless your are going to use it more than 5 days per month, you may be better off renting a machine.

I think your best bet is to wait until the end of May/beginning of June after you've made your Spring money and buy a nice used machine in your area. I know I have had several decent used bobcat 753/763/etc. and Case 1845c for $5000- $11000.

If you really want to buy new you should look into getting a Kubota B or L Series tractor with a loader and backhoe which you can get for $18,000-$30,000 brand new with a warranty and payments. I love Kubota tractor's, better then every other in my opinion, even those Green machines. (Even though I will be buying JD mowers this year).

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Wow. You better REALLY save some money. $72,000++ for that size after tax.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm considering used because of the price he knocks off about 10-15 k for 2-400 hours ones off their rental fleet it'll be down the road I know that but I'm hoping to get one before fall I need a real good summer to afford it tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Connor, I think you are getting in way over your head with a new skid steer. Unless your are going to use it more than 5 days per month, you may be better off renting a machine.

I think your best bet is to wait until the end of May/beginning of June after you've made your Spring money and buy a nice used machine in your area. I know I have had several decent used bobcat 753/763/etc. and Case 1845c for $5000- $11000.

If you really want to buy new you should look into getting a Kubota B or L Series tractor with a loader and backhoe which you can get for $18,000-$30,000 brand new with a warranty and payments. I love Kubota tractor's, better then every other in my opinion, even those Green machines. (Even though I will be buying JD mowers this year).

-Michael
The rental machines the want abOut 500 a day.for the cat ones it's not going to be a imadiate purchase but I want to have I by the end of summer hopefully. I don't think I'm in over my head but I'd use it for my land in nc too I think it would benifitd me to have one and be able to offer those services. But as times goes on we well see a tractor is also a consideration too
Posted via Mobile Device