Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am impressed. Most 14 year olds are more interested in playing video games than making money. I would also however suggest starting out with a 10K machine, because in worst case senerio most 10K machines will still be worth 10K next year. This is oppossed to a 30-40 K machine which will continue a steady decline. Being 14 things happen and being saddled to a big payment may not be a good idea. This entire posts begs for a lot of questions like who's company is this, who is cosigning and who drives you around to these jobs but I digress. Good luck.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The farm I work for when im not mowing has a bobcat S160 and a cat 223B. I run them both equally and would take a bobcat over cat any day cats are speady lil things while bobcat is built better I think. If your ganna run it in the cold cat by far started better and quicker then bobcat. The bobcat hydro is quicker then cat I think, paid 17xxx with trade in on a case 40xt that was a piece and paid 33xxx for a leased bobcat also traded old S160 got 9xxx on that.
2014 K&K 20ft landscape trailer
2013 x739 4x4 with 54in HC deck / 60in HD Broom
2010 Toro Grandstand 48in
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have no idea about the bobcat dealer. There not a small company they have six location all over the state. I'm pretty sure you were talking to Gary and he is the branch manager for the tidewater location. I deal with them a lot they do have a service truck that will do on site service. There quick to get repairs done had a power rake break and they had it up and running in 3 hours. I have nothing but praise for the people at bobcat of tidewater. And if I was in there shoes I would be worried putting a 14 year old in a 70k machine. When I was 14 I was running a old 82 bobcat. That was worth maybe 2200
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can get rental skid steers for $200-$250 a day in Delaware. Your best bet is becoming close friends with another small LCO in your area that has a machine and paying him a small rental fee because they are probably only going to use the machine d day or two per week.

I love my Kubota L4740 but it is too big for most yards so I will be buying a smaller machine this Summer. I have run Kubota BX and B Series machines as well and was happy with them.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I am impressed. Most 14 year olds are more interested in playing video games than making money. I would also however suggest starting out with a 10K machine, because in worst case senerio most 10K machines will still be worth 10K next year. This is oppossed to a 30-40 K machine which will continue a steady decline. Being 14 things happen and being saddled to a big payment may not be a good idea. This entire posts begs for a lot of questions like who's company is this, who is cosigning and who drives you around to these jobs but I digress. Good luck.
Ill anser them step dad owns it legally till I'm 18 were all legal and stuff he would cosign but it would be financed unert the company him and bust our butts on the weekends working he works full time as a navy contractor I'm hoping If This year goes good of I get enough contracts signed ill add a atleast parttime employee to work with me /drive while he's working . I'm also homeschooled
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
You have no idea about the bobcat dealer. There not a small company they have six location all over the state. I'm pretty sure you were talking to Gary and he is the branch manager for the tidewater location. I deal with them a lot they do have a service truck that will do on site service. There quick to get repairs done had a power rake break and they had it up and running in 3 hours. I have nothing but praise for the people at bobcat of tidewater. And if I was in there shoes I would be worried putting a 14 year old in a 70k machine. When I was 14 I was running a old 82 bobcat. That was worth maybe 2200
Well from what I knew they Dident have a service truck guess they do I'm pretty sure it was him. Michael was the first person I dealt with and he was fantastic. I get what your saying bro worried but it's not like I would break/wreck it I've driven multable before but I felt like he Dident take me seriously just because I was 14 obviously if I was their taking time out of my day to come see bobcats I wouldent be wasting his time. It doesent really matter to me I'm gonna problay end up getting a cat when I get one it was gonna be a bobcat but after today it was a deal braker but oh well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
I can get rental skid steers for $200-$250 a day in Delaware. Your best bet is becoming close friends with another small LCO in your area that has a machine and paying him a small rental fee because they are probably only going to use the machine d day or two per week.

I love my Kubota L4740 but it is too big for most yards so I will be buying a smaller machine this Summer. I have run Kubota BX and B Series machines as well and was happy with them.

-Michael
Sunbelt has their for about 240 and up for weeled machines but the cat I was gonna rent if It snowed here was 480 for a day. Most of the small company's I know don't have them and a more mowing. I'm not nesiclary going to buy new but it'll depend
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenjoe_10 View Post
The farm I work for when im not mowing has a bobcat S160 and a cat 223B. I run them both equally and would take a bobcat over cat any day cats are speady lil things while bobcat is built better I think. If your ganna run it in the cold cat by far started better and quicker then bobcat. The bobcat hydro is quicker then cat I think, paid 17xxx with trade in on a case 40xt that was a piece and paid 33xxx for a leased bobcat also traded old S160 got 9xxx on that.
I gotta call you out on the "built better" statement, Bobcat's loaders are plain weak, and even with the new M series, their quick attach frames still twist when the power-tach cylinder over extends. Look how little Cat's loader frames have changed since 1998. They have the strongest lower loader frames and quick attach frames next to Takeuchi. I have yet to twist out company's 277C loader frame more than an inch. Don't even get me started on the difference and better quality in Cat's cooling system.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
I gotta call you out on the "built better" statement, Bobcat's loaders are plain weak, and even with the new M series, their quick attach frames still twist when the power-tach cylinder over extends. Look how little Cat's loader frames have changed since 1998. They have the strongest lower loader frames and quick attach frames next to Takeuchi. I have yet to twist out company's 277C loader frame more than an inch. Don't even get me started on the difference and better quality in Cat's cooling system.
Posted via Mobile Device
The quick attach is weak on the S160 I did'nt know about other models thats why I didn't say anything. I could keep going on goods and bads for both, but in the long run I would say what ever one you get a better deal on go with it. For what I use the machines for bobcat is better.
2014 K&K 20ft landscape trailer
2013 x739 4x4 with 54in HC deck / 60in HD Broom
2010 Toro Grandstand 48in
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna go with a cat 279c almost positive now it's just getting the money together I woulda went with a bobcat but te way the guy treated me just rubbed me the wrong way
Posted via Mobile Device