Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

How many miles and is it a 4x4? Either way that sounds like a good price. I have an 04 6.0l and love it. Yeah I have had some problems but mine isn't stock either. Like others have said regular maintenance is important.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdnate View Post
How many miles and is it a 4x4? Either way that sounds like a good price. I have an 04 6.0l and love it. Yeah I have had some problems but mine isn't stock either. Like others have said regular maintenance is important.
Nah its a 2wd with 120k on it.

Thanks for all of your guys responses. im meeting with him on friday so we'll see what happens. And if any of you guys are wanting one of these he has a few more identical ones with 120K for approx the same price located here in KC. They aren't on craigslist so he hasn't had much luck with selling them sitting outside of his shop. Go figure haha
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to make the 6.0 durable you need to budget spending at least $3000 at the time of purchase. Head studs, aftermarket EGR cooler or delete, oil divider screen, aftermarket oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, and a few other odds and ends.

One of the many irritating things about the 6.0 is if the batteries get run down it will ruin the FICM or at least half of it. In the Ram or Dmax run down batteries don't hurt anything. My neighbor has a 6.0 company work truck and it blew a head gasket, warped the head, had the FICM issue, and other assorted problems. He has had to have his truck towed several times. His truck now has over 300K on it and he wants a Ram with a Cummins for his next truck.

I'm sure the company selling the trucks is likely worn out from the problems and this is why they are selling them just as the warranty has expired. I'd much rather get a used Cummins 5.9 if I were looking for a used work truck. The 5.9 goes back to 1989 and in stock form is durable engine you can buy. I don't mind spending a few grand on a Diesel engine but I had better get an extra 200 HP and 400 ft lbs or torque out of the deal.

A few grand to make a truck simply OK but still well below the durability of the Dmax and Cummins made at the same time would be a tough cookie to swallow.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
If you want to make the 6.0 durable you need to budget spending at least $3000 at the time of purchase. Head studs, aftermarket EGR cooler or delete, oil divider screen, aftermarket oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, and a few other odds and ends.

One of the many irritating things about the 6.0 is if the batteries get run down it will ruin the FICM or at least half of it. In the Ram or Dmax run down batteries don't hurt anything. My neighbor has a 6.0 company work truck and it blew a head gasket, warped the head, had the FICM issue, and other assorted problems. He has had to have his truck towed several times. His truck now has over 300K on it and he wants a Ram with a Cummins for his next truck.

I'm sure the company selling the trucks is likely worn out from the problems and this is why they are selling them just as the warranty has expired. I'd much rather get a used Cummins 5.9 if I were looking for a used work truck. The 5.9 goes back to 1989 and in stock form is durable engine you can buy. I don't mind spending a few grand on a Diesel engine but I had better get an extra 200 HP and 400 ft lbs or torque out of the deal.

A few grand to make a truck simply OK but still well below the durability of the Dmax and Cummins made at the same time would be a tough cookie to swallow.
Yup. My mechanic and friend who owns a diesel service shop says avoid the ford 6.0 diesel like a cheap hooker with herpes. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

The 6.0 all in all is not a terrible motor, after deleting my EGR, heads studs, and a mild tuner I love how it tows better than my old 7.3 and my 1st gen dodge. For 6k it is a deal, even if you use them for 2 - 3 years you should still be able to get close to that out of them. Regular maint. is a must on a 6.0 though, oil changes every 5000 - 7500 miles. Good luck
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
Yup. My mechanic and friend who owns a diesel service shop says avoid the ford 6.0 diesel like a cheap hooker with herpes. Good luck.
I would say the 6.0 has the clap not herpes. If you get the clap and catch it early on it can be treated. Your stuck with herpes for life. Personally, I rather not have herpes or the clap. Best medicine to avoid all problems is six in a row just like the big rigs.

I find it interesting the disparity in how long it took the Big Three to make a decent turbo Diesel. Dodge who never seemed to do anything earth shattering in the 80's pulled of a huge coup by getting the Cummins 12 valve 5.9 in 1989. Five years later in mid 94' came the Powerstroke 7.3 to replace the slower then death IDI. I would not consider GM's 6.5 Turbo to be a competitive motor. It really wasn't until 2001 that GM and Isuzu partnered up (GM owned a large stake in Isuzu) to make a viable 6.6 engine that used the common rail technology that was first developed in the 60's.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/