Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.klas View Post
I have the Ferris 48 comfort controll DD ... better operation than hustler and even the Hydrocut.
Go with the 36 comfort controll DD..
The comfort controll dd has really good handling, and cuts and discharges the clippings very well.. Personally its stronger than the other machines. Standers dont have great traction on hills and slide around in wet weather. with the double hydro.. you'll be impressed with the ferris.
Why do you feel the operation of the Ferris is better than the Hustler?

not being a smartazz, really want your comparative analysis.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the operation better on the Ferris because:

The handle bars on the Ferris are in a more comfortable spot which allows the arms to be down naturally which eliminates the possibility for back/ shoulder pain.
The hydros feel better.. The machine seems to handle smoother than really any other walkbehind out there today.
the ferris in my opinion has been easier to handle.. simple controls (cruz control bar and two handles that require light fingertip pressure).

I've ran this ferris for going on 3 years now and its been a great investment and I do use to have back pain and this machine has not caused any pains.... and its a hell of a lawn cutter and is really low on maintenance costs.

Its a little bit more money but you get what you pay for and at the end of the day you want to be cutting more grass and making more money with less hassle.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What did you dislike about the operation of the Hustler?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.klas View Post
I like the operation better on the Ferris because:

The handle bars on the Ferris are in a more comfortable spot which allows the arms to be down naturally which eliminates the possibility for back/ shoulder pain.

I've ran this ferris for going on 3 years now and its been a great investment and I do use to have back pain and this machine has not caused any pains.... and its a hell of a lawn cutter and is really low on maintenance costs.

Its a little bit more money but you get what you pay for and at the end of the day you want to be cutting more grass and making more money with less hassle.
I'm curious about your height and whether a Ferris favors a taller or shorter operator in your opinion.

What size deck are you using and are you primarily 1) mulching, 2) side-discharging and/or 3) bagging? How well does it do the first 2? What size engine are you running? Is it a KAW?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I was looking for my mower I was on the fence over the Ferris and the Hustler. These two were the only manufacturers that offered such easy height adjustment. Hustler has the lever that raises and lowers the deck while Ferris offers the screw gear.

The reason I chose Hustler was due to the controls. I also liked the Z controls on Bobcat and the Pro-V controls on the Scag but neither offered the deck height adjustability. The Ferris has pistol grips and in my experience hand fatigue is an issue. I have never had hand fatigue with the Hustler.

I am not brand loyal. There are things I don't like about the Hustler. If you do a side by side comparison the Ferris has a bigger engine, gas tank, and transmission. Hustler has a sturdier deck and a better warranty.

If it was possible I am sure we all have designs we like and dislike about our current mowers and it would be great to mix and match to build our perfect mower. Since I am not a mechanical engineer and do not have a blank check backing me I, like many on here have to choose the best to suit our needs and we may have to compromise on some things. The two things that I refused to compromise on were deck height adjustment and non pistol grip so the only manufacture that fit those needs was Hustler.

The best thing for everyone to do is go check mowers out, put your hands on them, test them. See how they fit you and what kind of comfort you feel while in the operator position. There is no perfect mower for every condition or every person. You have to find out what works best for you and use it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Walks are more versatile than standers especially if your lots are small. As long as the Walk is a dual hydro.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like walks, standers and Z's. I really think all 3 are needed, especially for those who pay attention to the details. Look, each has it's niche, no doubt your customer will appreciate that you can mow with a choice to provide the best QOC. Let us know what u get.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I am around 6 feet and I mainly side discharge.. Sometimes bag but usually not.
The engine is a 20.5 HP Kawasaki and I have a 48" deck.. would love to go bigger but didn't have enough money at the time.

Walkbehinds cut better because of the slower groundspeed and they are more versatile since they have the outfront deck. This means it can go in an out of tighter areas and they really cut down trimming time. Ive been running it for going on 3 three years and it was really worth the buy.. Its also great on hills

I would get a walkbehind first. Then when you have enough money invest in a Zeroturn or stander for wide, large areas. I prefer a stander since its better on the back to be standing all day
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a little under 6ft. We mainly mulch, but the machine would also be used for bagging leaves. We own a ferris 2500 and we're really happy with it. But you guys have even made it harder for me to decide And the only problem is none of the dealers have demo units (have even never seen a walkbehind over here :s) if it would help, the hustler is about $150 cheaper than the ferris. Another question: is it normal that the hustler factory side bagger costs over $800?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Go with the Ferris.. You won't be disappointed! It's a smoother operation