Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Turf Tracer Stiff

I have bought 9 brand new Turf Tracers and Turf Tracer HPs over the years. The last one I bought (a 60" with 24hp Kaw) is not very responsive in the Hydros. It has good ground speed in forward and reverse, but is not very "snappy" if that makes sense. The triggers do not return fast enough for my liking. I have had this problem before but it is usually a break in deal. After about 200 hours they seem to be outstanding. This one is now 2 years old with 1300 hours on it. The triggers are as sluggish as ever.

Anyone had this problem? Like I said, this is the first Turf Tracer I have had like this. Any adjustments that you guys know of? Stiff springs? I don't think it would be a pump or wheel motor issue. It has to be within the trigger mechanism itself I would think.

I also have a brand new S series (hp) 52" and it is already very snappy. It is just weird.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

From experience, its not a very smooth machine... It may be low on Hydro Fluid...

The best walk behind is the Ferris Comfort Control DD.. Its much better than the exmark and handles really smoothly.. better than any walk behind.. you get what you pay for at the end of the day. You can't go wrong with the Ferris. Test one out.. see for yourself.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

from experience, it's a very smooth machine. Klas, I don't think he wanted to start another "what's the best walkbehind?" thread.

Dixon, I've bought more than a few of those myself, and had the same problem on a couple. The "snapback" on realease would kinda hang up. Watch it closely-sometimes a good WD40 spray around the spring area and even a little grease around that plate where the drive rods connect? Obviously you've greased the 2 side fittings, I assume.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.klas View Post
From experience, its not a very smooth machine... It may be low on Hydro Fluid...

The best walk behind is the Ferris Comfort Control DD.. Its much better than the exmark and handles really smoothly.. better than any walk behind.. you get what you pay for at the end of the day. You can't go wrong with the Ferris. Test one out.. see for yourself.

Groomer, yes its always greased and well maintained. It is just this one particular mower. It is a lot more exhausting to run because you can't use the hydros to pop the deck up to go over things like curbs as easy as you can with my other mowers. I'm the only one that uses it because my guys can't/don't want to use it. It is an exceptional mower other than that.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so are you saying it's the hydro's themselves that are sluggish? Could it be a bad hydro(s)? I'd be talking to my dealer, you've bought plenty from them. (I always start out back the with techs at my dealer and work my way to the front!) They are a good group and generally figure thing out in a hurry.