Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Automaotive scan tools - anybody got a handle on this?

Tired of paying big dollars for vehicle repairs. I want to be able to diagnose my troubles down to the component/unit/lower level. Some scan tools just give you the top layer of the problem. What scan tool is best? I am getting a lot of input, but not from real end users/mechanics. Does anybody use a PC-based scan tool? My understanding is that you get a better bang for the buck with these units. Is this right?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These have been around a few years now, and alot of mechanics have them in their tool box. Anything better starts to get into the thousands.

http://www.innova.com/en-US/Product/Tools

Take in cosideration that scan tools dont fix cars, and newer cars have alot of "programming" issues that you cant do.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Larry. Now, what is the difference between the 3160b on that site, and the 3160 in the Sears site. The price is much better on the Sears site below. (I could not get the "insert url" to work).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...20Testersmv=rr
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dont know and that is a big difference in price. Also check Autozone they used to sell these units.

Heres one that covers a lot of years. Also on tooltopia you can compare alot of scantools.

http://www.tooltopia.com/equus-31703.aspx
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.tooltopia.com/equus-3150.aspx
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OBD II scan tools- The cheap ones want tell you must and the high price one's will just about fix the problem. I've got a $50 one, but I know what the codes mean.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Depending how much you will need to use one you might want to step up to a Snap On unit. You can find some pre owned ones out there for $1200-$1500. but thats a big investment just to read codes a few times a year.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scanners are not the silver bullet. My experience has been very very little use without all the diagnostic maps mechanics have. Most places will take their big scanners and scan your codes and tell you what they are, because they know you can't do much with them. I would throw the codes up on the forums and get tooo many opinions on what to replace.

Nobody could tell me what the blinking air bag lights meant on Ford. And nothing came out on scanner.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older snap-on unit ,I can just get my cartridge flashed so it is updated ,works very well ,and now you should be able to find one fairly cheap as many of the garages have gone to the otc genesis system and left the older ones behind .
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Low end scan tools will give generic OBD codes for common engine problems such as a cylinder misfire. It will then be up to the user to determine the cause such as a bad plug, wire, cap, rotor, etc. It's usually a process of starting with the most simple fix, and progressing to the more complex. I had a number 2 cylinder misfire code which required the fuel injector to be replaced before the code was cleared. In addition, manufacturers have their own proprietary codes that are more specific, but require a computer with their software. In either case, code scanners will not tell you the fix for any particular code. It still requires someone who understands what the code(s) means and the most likely fix.