Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how do you like the under tailgate spreader as opposed to a V box?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jcontracting- I would say we are a bit less than that and of those alot still don't go far. The good is once your in with commercial people you typically stay in unless you really mess up.

Landfakers- Thanks we mow with exmarks. Just switched to them this year.

Jbell- We have a undertailgate snowex new this season and a replacment tailgate snowex new last season. The under has been a disappointment. Both are not cheap and both have now come missing wiring and loose bolts.
The under tailgate auger came apart 2 weeks ago during a salting event, some pins on it have bent from normal use, some spinner problems and a few other things. I am not impressed and working on having the dealer buy it back and switch to something else.

To answer your question vs a vbox advantage is can haul more salt, Vbox also keeps salt off of the trucks better. Major disadvantage is liability of running the box up and hitting something cost is more for the vbox. Those are a few. With that said we may switch one to a vbox next season.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde307 View Post
Jcontracting- I would say we are a bit less than that and of those alot still don't go far. The good is once your in with commercial people you typically stay in unless you really mess up.

Landfakers- Thanks we mow with exmarks. Just switched to them this year.

Jbell- We have a undertailgate snowex new this season and a replacment tailgate snowex new last season. The under has been a disappointment. Both are not cheap and both have now come missing wiring and loose bolts.
The under tailgate auger came apart 2 weeks ago during a salting event, some pins on it have bent from normal use, some spinner problems and a few other things. I am not impressed and working on having the dealer buy it back and switch to something else.

To answer your question vs a vbox advantage is can haul more salt, Vbox also keeps salt off of the trucks better. Major disadvantage is liability of running the box up and hitting something cost is more for the vbox. Those are a few. With that said we may switch one to a vbox next season.
i ask because we have had many problems with our V box...the biggest advantage i see to a tailgate replacement or under tailgate is if something breaks you can simply take the tailgate off and dump the load if needed, with the V box you have to shovel it out by hand, THAT SUCKS...the other advantage is you can put more in the bed vs a V box...and third, it's much easier to install every season, with the v box you have to have a tractor or bobcat load it...we are thinking about switching to one or the other next season...would you suggest the tailgate replacement over the under tailgate?

i just don't want to make the wrong move and sell the V box when i later figure out that it is better than the other two options...
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our biggest problem has been the specific unit more than type I would say so hard to say exactly which to choose. Do you use the truck for anything else? The tailgate replacments and undertailgates are not light either.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a pic from last night. finally got some snow. Not great but you get the idea.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde307 View Post
Our biggest problem has been the specific unit more than type I would say so hard to say exactly which to choose. Do you use the truck for anything else? The tailgate replacments and undertailgates are not light either.
yeah i figured they weren't light, but i'm sure they are lighter than a v box...would two guys be able to take the tailgate spreader on/off? or would you still need a loader
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you like plowing with the toolcat? I was always curious about that.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That thing looks like its moving a fair amount of snow. You happy with its performance in the snow?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its main job is snow. If they were not so expensive I would have 10. I think it is great. It will push a fair amount, its comfortable to be in, its fast (18mph), and maneuvers really well.

That is an 8' Boss skid plow we added wings to.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some snow pics from last week. I was in Phoenix and Las Vegas last week. We got 5 days of snow while I was gone. Only 1-2" each day but a garbage truck clipped one of our salters one of the nights.