Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Above par,
I'm the same way about these forums. A lot of people forget they started at one point. I come to these forums for guidance and directon on things I don't know and pass it on to others. Maybe its just my nature of helping people my whole life. But I can't stand people who think there better then everyone in these forums. It just leads me to believe that there company was probably given to them by daddy also just think if they treat others on this forum like sh*t I could only imagine how they treat there customers.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run... its easy for someone on top to forget about how it all got started. This thread is all about learning to crawl, not run!

Anyway this is my second season, My first season was with the cub cadet 33" and my personal review on it is this....

Great machine for its price point! MTD did well on this, at 300 hours its still going strong HOWEVER this is not the mower to hand over to your helper! The first day I did that it ate a belt and broke a cable... if you don't "baby" this machine it will break. For solo its perfect, I picked it up used for $600 put $300 into repairs in it, at 12 hours the prior owner ruined it (bad pulley's bad deck belts bad cables). I rebuilt the entire deck, all new cables, all new pulleys AND brackets, and new belts.

After all this I put over 250 hours on it with ZERO problems till I handed it to my helper (who was hard on it).

If I could do it over again I would of went with the timemaster, but that option didn't exist at the time. I plan on going to my local dealer and looking at the toro turfmaster 30" for $1899 (commercial version of timemaster) tomorrow... I'm extremely excited!!!

I have over 15 accounts so far and plan on gaining at least 15 more this year! I want to step up to full commercial but the funds just are not there. I'm investing $3000 in the truck, $3000 in new equipment, and $3000 on advertising, insurance, etc. I started with $1000 and have full commercial stihl hand tools (trimmer, blower, stick edger, hedge trimmers). I learned real quick these are the "must have" of the business.

It can't be done? It has been done... I'm FAR from the top, but would of never guessed I would of made it this far with the limited funds I started with. Oh and I do this part-time and looking to transition into full-time next year.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Your on the right track jim. One thing I learned in this business is not to look back and continue to steam foreword and everything will fall into place. Sometimes takes longer then other but then you sit back at the end of the day looking at the enterprise you built and you can smile.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

It is difficult to start with $2000, but not impossible. I did it. I do not know what your goals are for this endeavor. You can get used equipment and a used trailer, trimmer and blower for the $2000. Forget the license and insurance for the first year or two. I know, I know, but you just won't have enough money for that right now. Gas, repair on equipment, labor if you need to hire any, printing of flyers, billing (stamps, envelopes, paper, etc) will be more than you expect. It will be a month after your expenses before the money comes in. If you are living at home (in my case living on wife's income), and are willing to put most all the income back into the company, you will be able to make it and even grow.
Good luck
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, we have the same number of clients going into this year. You say you're doing it part time; what shift do you work at your current job? I ask because I'm in similar situation. I am due back at the golf course March 1st and work a 6-2 (5-1 summer). I'm debating going back. I only bring home about $550 every 2 weeks at the golf course but it's nice to have that steady check. I know that I still have 5-6 hours after my shift I could handle any lawns I have, and with only having 15 at the moment that shouldn't be a problem. But I expect to gain more customers and just don't want to find myself turning down business over an $8 per hour job. If I commit to going back, I'll finish out the year. I won't quit on my boss. Too many people have been doing that around there and I'm not one to burn bridges so that's not an option. What do you guys think?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was me I would get a Timemaster for 1K, then $200 echo weed whip from Home Depot and a $300 blower, echo from home depot. Then you still have $500 for??? whatever you want.

$500 will get you a lot of postcards from gotprint.com
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I made a mistake of buying a $600 snow blower my first year thinking I'd do snow removal......it never snowed.

Shame on me for even putting gas in the damn thing.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
I made a mistake of buying a $600 snow blower my first year thinking I'd do snow removal......it never snowed.

Shame on me for even putting gas in the damn thing.
Man i read this and laughed so hard..

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going today to demo the ALL NEW Toro Turfmaster 30" Commercial vesion of the Timemaster. My dealer is letting me tear down the mower so I can inspect EVERY aspect of the machine, what was changed other than the obvious (Motor, drive system, etc). He is pulling both models for a side by side breakdown so I can see if the price can be justified.

I will let you guys know my thoughts and the subtle changes (if any) that I see.

Not trying to hijack my own thread here... but throwing the Toro Turfmaster 30" commercial version in on the list because its NOW an option at $1899.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
I'm going today to demo the ALL NEW Toro Turfmaster 30" Commercial vesion of the Timemaster. My dealer is letting me tear down the mower so I can inspect EVERY aspect of the machine, what was changed other than the obvious (Motor, drive system, etc). He is pulling both models for a side by side breakdown so I can see if the price can be justified.

I will let you guys know my thoughts and the subtle changes (if any) that I see.

Not trying to hijack my own thread here... but throwing the Toro Turfmaster 30" commercial version in on the list because its NOW an option at $1899.
Can i go with ya? Grass isn't growing, no snow, what' else do i got to do?