Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey weaver I'll pick you up. Sitting here too. I hate this. I'm in Chicago where there should be 10 inches of Snow and we still haven't seen over 2 inches
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Man i read this and laughed so hard..

Yeah it wasn't my brightest moment! So many other things I could have done with that money! Oh well, it'll be here IF we ever get any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
I'm going today to demo the ALL NEW Toro Turfmaster 30" Commercial version of the Timemaster.
Let us know how it goes. You shouldn't have any trouble with that machine!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so I just went and checked it out. WoW What a machine, lots of changes over the timemaster. Lots of durability improvements, the only downside I seen was the extra weight, but the front extension of the handlebar negates this! Toro really put in the hours when they made this machine. Looks like these are the main improvements over the timemaster....

-Bull nose bumper in front (timemaster is plastic)
-Extremely heavy duty height of cut adjustment, also EASIER than timemaster version to adjust
-Extra heavy duty handlebar NO plastic anywhere, reinforced in area's that need it!
-Heavy duty bail drive system, single bail the harder you pull it in, the faster the machine goes (NOT 1 speed) similar to a hydro drive sytem (no gears) HOWEVER this a gear driven machine, doesn't make much sense but you squeeze hard and you go fast, squeeze slowly and you go slow, its VERY rugged not like the plastic found on the timemaster
-Bail system does 2 things, drives and blade clutch. To turn the blades on you pull it to the right slightly before engaging, when you engage the drive sytem the blades will start HOWEVER if you want to use the self propelled without the blades engaged you can (just don't slide the bail to the right). SO IT DOES have a "blade brake clutch" VERY nice job toro!
-Super heavy duty Kawasaki 6 hp engine WITH throttle control YOU CAN adjust the RPM on this machine unlike the Timemaster . This motor makes the briggs version look like a toy! When you engage the blades on this machine, it sounds like a helicopter! I'm not sure of the blade tip speed however.
-The deck is surrounded by a steel plate at all corners to reinforce it which would be nice if you hit something
-SOLID Steel mulch cover, backplate where the bag is, AND its incredibly EASY to change from side discharge to mulch plate!

All in all, all I can say is "WOW" Worth EVERY penny of $1899. I'm going to order one in the next 2 weeks. There is nothing else like this machine, TORO covered every aspect that needed corrected with the timemaster for us landscape contractors and renamed it basicly. Its in a league of its own and NO Doubt will hold up better than any walkbehind on this list.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh and they added a fuel shut off, easy change fuel filter AND a 1 gallon tank ... probly the most important feature can't believe I forgot to add that, LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice, it sounds like a great machine. My only issue is the price tag. Will this be your main mower? 2k seems like a lot to spend on a push mower. I feel like you could find a pretty good used 36 or 42 stander for that much and get a 21 for tighter areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The biggest selling point is I can buy a 5x8 trailer put TWO of these machines on it, AND a 21" mower. With a full rig outfit less than $5000 new and operate a two man crew nearly TWICE as efficient as "the other guy". Yes it has its drawbacks, biggest is only serving customers who have less than 1 acre of lawn to mow. 90% of my customers have less than 1/2 an acre. The fuel savings , lower insurance cost, less wear and tear on the truck are worth it IMO.

A solo op guy can fabricate a setup in the back of a s10 or ranger size truck while getting 20 mpg. I plan on changing my business plan to this personally! Downfall of this is having somewhere to put the clippings, Could put in bags and leave in trash or come back later and pick them up.

At the end of the day Business is SALES - OVERHEAD = PROFIT

Increase your sales, lower your overhead, increase your profit .... its that simple ALL business is the same

As far as "the heavy price tag" I am with you on this one, its nearly double the cost, but will last much longer than the residential version. Short term the residential is better, long term NO DOUBT go commercial. Turfmaster is double the machine the timemaster is. Thats why its nearly twice as much!

Also I don't care how good of a driver, there are places YOU CAN NOT get a trailer, no matter how compact. I live in the city where you can barely park a truck! Most lawn company's won't take a customer like this...which is why I have 3 customers on the same street the first year in business, THANK YOU! =)

IMO used is like picking up a grenade, more important than the machine is why they are getting rid of it...After all we are just starting out and don't need the headaches that come with used equipment. Downtime in this business will bankrupt you!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Turfmaster: 6hp to run a 30" commercial mower sounds a tad anemic, imho. Yes, I realize it's only ~170 lbs.

How well does the lesser/homeowner Timemaster disperse the clippings when side-discharging?

I looked at a Timemaster yesterday...the cutting area under the deck looked more rugged than I had envisioned.

W/o reading back through all the reviews from '12...can anyone tell me if there were any issues with the cogged drive belt running the timed blades? It seemed to me that this could have been a weak area.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I own a timemaster and use it on the front lines. Never had a problem with it. I had a house where the grass was almost 8 inches tall. I raised the wheels all the way up and side discharged. Then lowered them obce used the bag then final cut I mulched. I was suprised cause everyone talks sh*t about it. But then again everyone is open to opinions. After this experience I think sometimes its operator error. But anyways I enjoy my timemaster, and maybe next year upgrade to the turfmaster.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I started out 5 years ago with a Toro SR4 SuperRecycler, hdwe store trimmer and blower, and a Ford Escape (thats right NO trailer Seems almost laughable now, but I grew that thing from nothing to a nice sized 2 employee business and growing. Minus the vehicle, all that cost me under a grand. It can be done OP.

I am not going to give an opinion on your mower choices. Pick the one that doesn't clog and bog in wet grass is all I can say.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Turfmaster: 6hp to run a 30" commercial mower sounds a tad anemic, imho. Yes, I realize it's only ~170 lbs.

How well does the lesser/homeowner Timemaster disperse the clippings when side-discharging?

I looked at a Timemaster yesterday...the cutting area under the deck looked more rugged than I had envisioned.

W/o reading back through all the reviews from '12...can anyone tell me if there were any issues with the cogged drive belt running the timed blades? It seemed to me that this could have been a weak area.
You know i thought the same thing about the engine size at first, but think back to some of the older snapper riders. Some of those things came with a 8hp Briggs and it had to pull the machine as well as the operator, and did just fine...