Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told that Kawi usually under rates their motors. Is that true?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Since there has been so many replies to the op's question I was wondering if ya'll could answer mine along the same lines.
I have a 48 craftsman residential tractor. I'm going to start cutting lawns this spring and was wondering. should I use it. Can't afford a 2k lawnmower.
I was planning on getting a gas trimmer, blower, and walk behind. Already have a 10 double axel trailer.

Thanks folks.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure which I would choose. I frankly think its a waste of money to buy any of those. Just save up another thousand and buy a brand new full-commercial walk, or buy a used one.

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I might get hit for this but it was a learning exp. for me.
I got a Toro Commercial 21", Toro 828 LXE Snow Thrower, Echo ES 210 Blower Vac, Echo SRM 210 Trimmer and a Power Trim Walk Behind Edger on Toro Credit from my Dealer. Mistake! The only thing I still have after 5 years is the Snow Thrower, great machine but it has to snow first.
My first truck was a used Ford F150 4x4 with a lot of issues(cash).
Second Mistake was buying a Toro 32" Commercial Belt Drive on Toro Credit.
Still got it, cuts and stripes great but not worth the dang payments.
Now I try to pay cash for everything, got a good used Snapper Pro 52", Encore 52", Snapper Pro 48".

Take your time, work for a while, see were you customer base takes you and believe in yourself and your service. When you are ready, take a look at decent used mowers. Save cash. If you got a primary job and this is on the side, grow it til you can, dollar for dollar, eventually make it your thriving small business. Own it!!
It doesnt make it easier when your daughter looks at you and says "Daddy"
or your, in my case former, says I need some money for this doctor or that book. Take your time and review what your thinking.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
2k is plenty enough to start a lawn business. Don't forget you were small at one time to. People like you make me hate these forums.
Uh huh. I was a small fry once too. I started with a riding tractor and a junk trimmer. No blower, I had a broom. But I had enough in the bank to pay my bills for a couple of years and get me going. And it was a whole lot more than $2,000.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Starting out with little $$$$

When I started I bought a little 7' x 43" trailer ($200.00) and sold a 21" commercial 2 stroke mower and bought 2 used 21" Toro recyclers. Just shot by the hip with 15 accounts at the beginning. It was a good thing that my wife and I had full-time jobs also and the Biz was able to run on its own income for a while. That being said we worked with even less, although I agree buying a new mower would be great. Where will you get everything else? If you spend $2,000.00 on one mower all that start-up money is gone. I did not see anything you list. Except maybe the Toro/Exmark 30” mower.

I am just wondering if you mean that you have $2,000.00 to spend on the first mower. And have all the other tools to get you by? Because when you get going. Man the money just evaporates if you are not careful.

If I could bought new and was able to afford one I would look into the Y-bravo 25" mower. and build from there. I don't own one but from what has been said one the site and just checking them out it would be a great walk behind to start with.

But I have not bought a new mower since we started and have made a lot more money taking some one else’s used equipment and running with it at half the cost. All the equipment I have now is Commercial and runs great. Here is a mower I am going to take a look at tomorrow. http://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/3689107992.html
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Y-Bravo

Here is the site for the mower http://www.ybravo.com/store/pc/Bravo...-BBC-1p560.htm
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im going to be 100% honest here. I HATE Chinese mowers but the Bradley/Redhawk is the only commercial mower on your list. I hate to say it but I would buy the Bradley/Redhawk 36" walkbehind. It should get you through a few years until you can upgrade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Starting up in this business can be done on almost any level. The basics of a push mower, trimmer and blower allow you to get your feet wet and make a couple bucks. My first entrance into the game was with a $179.00 k-mart high wheel push mower and a Homelite trimmer and blower. All bought new for around $400. Hauled to site in my Honda Accord. I thought I was outsmarting all those guys with trucks and trailers. I worked my rear off that first summer.

About halfway through the season, I "found" a Redmax trimmer in a new customers overgrown yard. Customer said it had been there since last year when it quit and the former lawn guy just left it (threw it apparently). Shortly after getting it running, I realized "gee, commercial gear really is better".

My point being, a good used commercial 32-36" WB will simply deliver better service than most if not all the options listed. Putting all your eggs in one basket is seldom a good idea. When that "basket" is a residential mower being pressed into commercial work, it seldom makes your life easier. Whichever route you choose, hard work and perseverence will pay off in time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post

About halfway through the season, I "found" a Redmax trimmer in a new customers overgrown yard. Customer said it had been there since last year when it quit and the former lawn guy just left it (threw it apparently). Shortly after getting it running, I realized "gee, commercial gear really is better".

My point being, a good used commercial 32-36" WB will simply deliver better service than most if not all the options listed. Putting all your eggs in one basket is seldom a good idea. When that "basket" is a residential mower being pressed into commercial work, it seldom makes your life easier. Whichever route you choose, hard work and perseverence will pay off in time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with GrassGuerilla when it comes to starting with whatever you can. I went from the used home owner Equipment to good used Commercial equipment. What a difference all the way around. The mowers had less breakage and the hand held’s more power and are reliable (even being used). No matter what you do decide to go with, you being the only one operating your equipment and that makes all the difference in the world when it comes to keeping things going strong. Good luck with your endeavor.