Register free!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Clover in grass

I have this Chinese couple who I do weekly maintenance for, they have big patches of clovers on there lawn. They want me to get rid of the clovers in the lawn, I told them speedzone would do it. It may leave bare spots on lawn. And you would have to reseed after that. They want something that won't do that , but to only kill the weeds and magically have green grass again. It is very hard to communicate as it is to theses people since they speak and understand very little English. They said that they have no money, so they won't be able to spend $50 for the application of speedzone. Even though they live in a nice new victorian. So to appease them I put down Ortho Weed B Gone, for 10 bucks. I knew it really would not work, but hoped for the best. But they want the weeds as I got it to magically disappear the minute the spray is put down, not even wait a week or to for it to work.
The husband said that if the weeds are not gone that his wife might fire me he said in his broken english. What should I do, whats the best chemical for clovers that will not harm the grass, but is cheap. Should even bother working with these people?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't bother dealing with them. SpeedZone works best for me
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

clover

During spring, amines will not kill clover much. Fall is much better regarding amine. Clover is much easier to kill using amines (cheap herbicide) during the fall.

Killing clover in spring/summer -- you better use ester........preferably one that includes tryclopyr.

We use a blend of 3-way amine & 2-way ester. Does a great job.

Use the right product(s), and your customers will love you.

Please do not get mad at this customer. They just want the job done. Maybe referrals after that??
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get your license or hire a pro. Tell them --put it in writing so you can be sure they understand--that weed control takes 10 to 14 days to work. They will surely show it to a friend or relative that can read English better.
Bad idea to tell them that killing the clover will leave big bare spots--it won't.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
During spring, amines will not kill clover much. Fall is much better regarding amine. Clover is much easier to kill using amines (cheap herbicide) during the fall.

Killing clover in spring/summer -- you better use ester........preferably one that includes tryclopyr.

We use a blend of 3-way amine & 2-way ester. Does a great job.

Use the right product(s), and your customers will love you.

Please do not get mad at this customer. They just want the job done. Maybe referrals after that??
Amine 2-4D will kill clover when the whites are on I get 100% kill at that time any other time is a waste with Amine. I never seen clover in the fall in the lawns I treat.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Momentum fx will kill the clover
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

These are not the kind of customers you want if you want to be a successful business owner. If you cater to people who want perfection but are not willing to pay professionals to properly do the job, your business will go under.

Move on, get licensed and realize that chasing the cheap clients is not in your interest. Getting referrals from them will do you no good.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
These are not the kind of customers you want if you want to be a successful business owner. If you cater to people who want perfection but are not willing to pay professionals to properly do the job, your business will go under.

Move on, get licensed and realize that chasing the cheap clients is not in your interest. Getting referrals from them will do you no good.
+1 on that !! No money in that area ? They are playing you, move on.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Lockup - 2-4d
Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post

+2 if a client wants to threaten to terminate your services then its time to move on