Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

hi swampy ,thanks for the good luck,same to you,im not expecting alot just a start,i gotta start somewhere
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best of luck, this past year was my first year too, I didnt start with any customer at all, just a will and a way, I would say hand out alot of flyers and post yard signs, in the beginning you wont be doing anything anyway, so door to door flyers worked well for me, fyi I edned up with 25 accounts(nostly weekly, a bunch bi-weekly), also did a ton of odd gardening jobs and pruning, lawn repairs etc. Dont limit yourself to grass cutting in the begining, it helps fill the time inbetween cutting days. Also dont expect a big pay check your first year, or one at all, lol. All the best, hope its goes well for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks locallawncare,i plan on handing out alot of flyers out,and post cards,i had a bunch of each made,just a bit too early for home owners here,i think early march
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I plan on doing the same again this year, not sure of weather where you are, but up here I would typically start spring clean up and aerations in April and start with flyers in March, you need to wait until spring is in the air. Im also thinking about using a mailing service for a few thousand or so flyers, it gets alot of them out there way quicker then one man can, kind of pricey though so Im on the fence about it.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I'm in western wisconsin entering my second year but first year full time. Best of luck. Hopefully we get some snow so it isn't too dry to start things off.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Pete - I have a lawn/landscaping business out in East Troy. Were are you located? I mainly work in Elkhorn, East Troy & Mukwonago.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

You're welcome. I am in Appleton. I service the entire Fox Cities area. I started out last year but got at it late with advertising and only picked up 3 lawn accts and one of them moved. I did about 500 door hangers with a special for leaf clean-ups and gutter cleaning and did not get a single call. The phone book got me the one lawn, a few gutter jobs, and a couple cleanups but that was it for year one and unless I get a ton this year will have another year as a part timer.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardworkswi View Post
You're welcome. I am in Appleton. I service the entire Fox Cities area. I started out last year but got at it late with advertising and only picked up 3 lawn accts and one of them moved. I did about 500 door hangers with a special for leaf clean-ups and gutter cleaning and did not get a single call. The phone book got me the one lawn, a few gutter jobs, and a couple cleanups but that was it for year one and unless I get a ton this year will have another year as a part timer.

Try posting some ads to craigslist. You might be surprised by the number of calls you get.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I second that, I used Kijiji, which is basically the same but more popular where i am, I was surprised I got some call from it, it also pays to have your ad at the top of the page, its a small price to pay for the added calls. Also use all forms of advertising, flyers, yard signs, truck logos, website, craiglist, etc. Each one helps, it was my first year too, but ended up with 25 accounts and a ton more odd jobs(people that dont mind cutting there grass but get you to do other stuff around the yard)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
I second that, I used Kijiji, which is basically the same but more popular where i am, I was surprised I got some call from it, it also pays to have your ad at the top of the page, its a small price to pay for the added calls. Also use all forms of advertising, flyers, yard signs, truck logos, website, craiglist, etc. Each one helps, it was my first year too, but ended up with 25 accounts and a ton more odd jobs(people that dont mind cutting there grass but get you to do other stuff around the yard)

And i was also going to ad to this is get some logos on your truck and start driving around town with them ASAP get the name out there some how and its early so its a good time for people to start seeing it. Always helps if they recognize it. Yard signs too. Put one up in your yard. Just got to get your logo out there so it is recognizable.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Tags