Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
With that attitude I give it two weeks before someone punches his egotistical face in.
Are you shitting me! You gotta be messing with me. Seriously.
Read back at the beginning of the thread and decide for yourself who was more of an egotistical ******* rather then being humble. I can only take so much abuse and you kept coming and coming.

What's wrong? Nothing else to say to the points that I proved you wrong?

That's alright. Just resort to your childish insults rather then focusing on the debate because you KNOW for a fact you don't have anything else to say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry Sydney. I was totally wrong. It won't be two days before someone stomps the **** out of you.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow. You have 2 posts and they were only directed towards insulting me with NO logic or intellect whatsoever? Seems a bit fishy to me.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think we are done with logic and intellect because we have 5 pages of YOU KNOW EVERYTHING. I'm beginning to think that you are a troll.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I'M A TROLL? LMFAO. When Mr.Yard Army shows up out of no where with 2 posts targeting me? I'm beginning to think your him on a different account.

And yup. Thanks for admitting that your wrong and that I just out-knowledged you in your own damn industry's marketing. I'm guessing your revenues are through the roof with this whole "expansion is bad and entrepreneurs are evil" attitude.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I believe the part that has frustrated a few people is the fact that your in this all for the money, not for the love of the lawn and landscape management industry. Don't get me wrong because we all enjoy the perks that come at the end of the month. I'm not responding to start a disagreement, just attempting to dissolve some of this bashing.
It is very disrespectful to say without you your employees families won't eat. Our philosophy here is my family doesn't eat without my hardworking well qualified crews. Without compensating your laborers properly it is hard to retain them for the future and grow an operation.
Maybe think about how much you can afford to compensate your distributors at a set rate with possibility of extra earnings off leads. For example offer them $50 a day for distributing the flyers and a set rate for any sales you receive from that distributor. Calling it commission entails the distributor to make the sale.
Just a side note for starting up, don't try to become large too quick. It takes a few years to get your feet under you when dealing with all the details that come along with owning a lawn management organization.
Remember I'm not posting in an attacking way, I am a younger owner as well. But prior to starting my company I was in the industry for 3 years, as well as took courses to advance my knowledge in this industry. I would recommend taking a few turf management courses especially to make your resume brighter to customers.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I believe the part that has frustrated a few people is the fact that your in this all for the money, not for the love of the lawn and landscape management industry. Don't get me wrong because we all enjoy the perks that come at the end of the month. I'm not responding to start a disagreement, just attempting to dissolve some of this bashing.
It is very disrespectful to say without you your employees families won't eat. Our philosophy here is my family doesn't eat without my hardworking well qualified crews. Without compensating your laborers properly it is hard to retain them for the future and grow an operation.
It's also frustrating because whatever criticism someone in this business offers this guy he always has the answer. He wants to distribute 50,000 advertising pieces. That's fine if you are a large established company like Tru-Green or Brickman who has the crews and manpower to handle the responses. But this kid has nothing and no experience and assuming that he does get 250 customers signed up, he is then going to ask for money up front from them to buy equipment and hire employees. The funds he has saved up probably wouldn't buy one rider and no financial institution is going to give him a loan like he thinks. If he came here saying that he wanted to start an LCO, wanted to know what equipment he should start out with and how to generate some customers everybody would be behind him. That's a reasonable business idea and we've all been there. But this guys ideas are not realistic because he lacks knowledge and experience.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

As been said, the problem here is the approach. Basically using people for something that isn't certain without properly compensating them for their efforts (also it is rather difficult to prove that you didn't make a sale on your part which may create ill-feelings). Plus add that you don't have anything set up to handle the possible work (equipment, manpower, experience, capital) and it makes the more experienced people here put on their good-guy hats and give you advice on what to do so you avoid a lot of possible issues.

Now my take on this. I don't like to distribute door to door and will either have someone else do it for me as soon as I can (of course with proper compensation) or direct mailing so I understand you not wanting to 'bust ass' on door to door advert.
You not having the necessary things to handle the work is a major red flag.
I don't know of any company that charges upfront for this type of service so it'll be a hard sell considering most people are used to paying after the service is performed (some even 20-30 days after). Taking out a loan for a newly founded company is out of the question and taking out a personal loan at 18 without a stable job will be hard as well.
Even worse is not having any kind of experience doing the work you are advertising for your company. In my experience starting this type of business without much money needs a reliable lead starting out and this is usually the business owner. You want to be able to do a good and reliable job if you want to stay in business.

You want to jump right into the business management part, which isn't necessarily bad, but doing so requires a lot of money AND reliable help. IMO you are better off working, saving money and buying an existing company with a good reputation and then take on the management responsibilities and grow from there.

Save yourself a lot of headaches and listen to some of the advice given in this thread. It will also save you a lot of money.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyLawnCare View Post
I'M A TROLL? LMFAO. When Mr.Yard Army shows up out of no where with 2 posts targeting me? I'm beginning to think your him on a different account.

And yup. Thanks for admitting that your wrong and that I just out-knowledged you in your own damn industry's marketing. I'm guessing your revenues are through the roof with this whole "expansion is bad and entrepreneurs are evil" attitude.
I will give you some free advice, It takes Money to make Money... You should be reading this forum more than posting in it. Not picking on you here, but alot of guys here have been down your road many times. You need to respect that or you will get no respect yourself. I just bought a used WB 2 weeks ago from a 19 year old who tried it for two years and had to sell everthing, atleast he owned all of his equipment when he started. Lawn cutting is tough and cut throat in my area. Wishing you the best in your endevors.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Other responses in this thread notwithstanding, I think you are biting off more than you can chew here. When/if those calls calls come in, you need to be able to deliver that day. A client responding on that first round is not going to be happy waiting. I might be understanding your wrong, but you are not even planning equipping until you sign clients? You'll get loans to get that equipment based on what? What bank gives a business a loan with no earnings history? Knowing business is all well and good, but you are doing business with People, and your skills there (based on what I have seen in this thread) need vast improvement. It is people you will make deals with, it is people you will have to satisfy each month to keep them as clients. Simply seeing that the work is done is not going to grow your business.

How many clients do you think you'll get with this ad campaign?
How many crews will be needed to service those clients.
What Equipment will they need?
How many clients will they be able to service a day?
What happens when someone gets sick? when they quit?
What are your insurance costs going to be?
Fuel costs?
Maintenance costs?
Labor costs?

You have no idea about any of these costs because you are not operating. You have no idea what you need to charge to be profitable.

If you were operating, You'd have a decent grasp on your expansion costs for equipment, and all the rest.

Doubling the man hours you can bill does not mean you double your productivity.

Make sure to keep us updated. Everyone loves a trainwreck.