Register free!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Defendor herbicide

Has anybody used or priced Defendor yet?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a new product this year.

Awesome product!!!!!

We r trying some

Very excited to try it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was was just looking at it tonite

I just din't see any thing special about it I can spray ammine and kill a weed in 2 weeks in the cool temp it's not 24D that would be nice

Is the AI some thing new? florasulam kind of sound like i have heard this before

The list of weeds is not that long it says go to the label for full listing but i didn't search it out

Charles Cue
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was checking it out and I think I'll wait this year. Saw it had soil activity. Kind of remind me of another product I_p_el_s. Anybody care to guess? I don't want to play that game for at least a couple more years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This chemistry is not new...however it is new to the turf industry. It is used in conjunction with Dimension in early spring to help control chickweed, clover and dandelion etc. The biggest thing is it takes out and keeps dandelions from blooming.
This is an added cost to your program and doesn't replace anything. We are excited because we think it will reduce dandelion calls in the spring and reducing chickweed is HUGE as it typically the biggest problem for us.

With thinner turf after last summer we feel winter annuals may be a problem this year.

I will let you know as we are going to be doing a lot of on site testing.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

if anyone wants to read http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ldATA000.pdf
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
It's a new product this year.

Awesome product!!!!!

We r trying some

Very excited to try it
Posted via Mobile Device
I will be looking forward to your results. Have you checked on price yet?

The thing that sounds good to me is it is supposed to be safe for most grasses including Bermuda and St Augustine. I do not deal with much Fescue but I do have some along with overseeded Rye. I like Celcius but I cannot use it on the Rye and Fescue areas so I use a 3 way, but the 3 ways are more harsh on our warm season turf and most have warnings about not using on St Augustine during the transition period and that is when I am putting out pre and spraying broadleaves.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on your supplier I would say somewhere between $5-6 an acre.

I feel using it along the edges is where we are going to benefit the most.

That is typically where the thinnest areas are, hence more winter annuals and perennial weeds. At the same time we are going to be applying liquid Dimension.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
This chemistry is not new...however it is new to the turf industry. It is used in conjunction with Dimension in early spring to help control chickweed, clover and dandelion etc. The biggest thing is it takes out and keeps dandelions from blooming.
This is an added cost to your program and doesn't replace anything. We are excited because we think it will reduce dandelion calls in the spring and reducing chickweed is HUGE as it typically the biggest problem for us.

With thinner turf after last summer we feel winter annuals may be a problem this year.

I will let you know as we are going to be doing a lot of on site testing.
You're right that this prodeuct isn't new -- it's been used in cereal crops for years and it's been registered on turf in Japan and China for many years. Dow explored its use in the US turf market in the mid 90s, but dropped it because it wasn't as effective as Confront.

I did some of the early experimental work with this compound in 1992-1996, then again over the last couple of years. The only thing that makes this different from your regular 3-way products is reduction of dandelion bloom. It won't kill dandelions, but it can keep them from blooming. You can use a 3-way without Defendor, but you can't use Defendor without a 3-way added in or applied later.

Dow is positioning this as an application to be done 2 weeks before your normal first 3-way app.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
You're right that this prodeuct isn't new -- it's been used in cereal crops for years and it's been registered on turf in Japan and China for many years. Dow explored its use in the US turf market in the mid 90s, but dropped it because it wasn't as effective as Confront.

I did some of the early experimental work with this compound in 1992-1996, then again over the last couple of years. The only thing that makes this different from your regular 3-way products is reduction of dandelion bloom. It won't kill dandelions, but it can keep them from blooming. You can use a 3-way without Defendor, but you can't use Defendor without a 3-way added in or applied later.

Dow is positioning this as an application to be done 2 weeks before your normal first 3-way app.
The way I was reading it sounded like and said post, but the way y'all are making it sound it should be used more for a pre. Am I understanding right?