Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need your opinions on engines

I'll be purchasing three new 60" zeros in the next month or so. I need your help and your experiences with the DFI, EFI engines, in particular. I'm leaning towards all three being Turf Tigers. All of my previous mowers were Exmark or Toro and all had Kohler air cooled 23hp's and 27hp's. I've had good luck with those engines. But I'm thinking I want more power this time around with roughly the same gph or better. I was thinking of maybe two Kawasaki DFI 29hp's and one Briggs 35hp ('cause I need at least one true beast). But I've been checking around and I'm not hearing too many good things about the Kawasaki 29hp DFI L/C. It's making me nervous. So, now I'm thinking about going with the Kohler 31hp EFI L/C. What are your experiences, good or bad, with the Kaw 29 DFI or the Kohler 31 EFI?

Also, there's a Kohler 29hp EFI but apparently, according to Scag website, that's a 10.5 mph machine. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go Vanguard BB35.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The kawi 29dfi (now called fd791d model) was scags most popular engine for years. I'm guessing it still is but the 35bb is getting closer since the price is lower and the more pwr mindset.

The kawi is a solid engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a gravely with a 23hp kohler efi and after putting two hours on it i really like it. It sips fuel and is easy to start and even being 40 drgrees today it ran great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I just bought a gravely with a 23hp kohler efi and after putting two hours on it i really like it. It sips fuel and is easy to start and even being 40 drgrees today it ran great.
Posted via Mobile Device
How come i haven't seen any pics?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

We've been running 26 EFI & 23 EFI Kohlers and love them. Won't go back to a non EFI engine if I can help it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the setup you have now, two kaw, and one 35 briggs.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate your opinions.

I spoke with a mechanic today whom I really trust. He's advising me to go with the Kohler 29HP EFI. He said he really likes the Kohler EFI's. He said that he hasn't had the opportunity to work on the Kohler 31HP EFI and that he doesn't know of anybody running that motor locally. He suggested against the Kaw 29HP DFI... saying that Kawasaki DFI engines are great until they have an issue. Then they're a PITA to work on and the parts cost a lot more.

I'm still rolling things around but right now it seems I'm leaning towards a Briggs 35 and two Kohler EFI 29's.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I like that choice. I have heard great things about kohlers EFI, those are the engines of the future. NO MORE CARBS!!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
I'll be purchasing three new 60" zeros in the next month or so. I need your help and your experiences with the DFI, EFI engines, in particular. I'm leaning towards all three being Turf Tigers. All of my previous mowers were Exmark or Toro and all had Kohler air cooled 23hp's and 27hp's. I've had good luck with those engines. But I'm thinking I want more power this time around with roughly the same gph or better. I was thinking of maybe two Kawasaki DFI 29hp's and one Briggs 35hp ('cause I need at least one true beast). But I've been checking around and I'm not hearing too many good things about the Kawasaki 29hp DFI L/C. It's making me nervous. So, now I'm thinking about going with the Kohler 31hp EFI L/C. What are your experiences, good or bad, with the Kaw 29 DFI or the Kohler 31 EFI?

Also, there's a Kohler 29hp EFI but apparently, according to Scag website, that's a 10.5 mph machine. Thanks in advance.
I am also considering the Kohler 29 efi. I was surprised when I checked the Scag website and saw they use this engine on the 52", 61" and 72" Turf Tigers. If they can run it on a 72" I figure it should have more than enough power for the 52" TT I will be getting soon. Let us know what you end up with and post up a review.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino