Register free!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would rather test a 6" device than one of those. The larger ones will flow debris through more than the dinky ones.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All the 1/2 rpz's I deal with are for Boiler systems, radiated floor heating and pool refills. They suck because they are always tucked away in some crazy plumbing in a small room. repairing these suckers are even harder and require me to bend my body in ways I didn't know I could
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We used to test fire lines, but gave up because of the screwing around with various agencies ( Fire Dept., City, Alarm Co., etc.) cost us too much time in scheduling to make the tests profitable. We had one area where the Fire Dept. had to bring down a pumper to the site while we tested.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I get tired of waiting for someone to give me access to the device.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe in Sufolk County, NY you now have to be a licensed Master Plumber to do backflow testing. That cuts out a lot of the irrigation guys who have Restricted Plumbing licenses.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do not test backflows, but in Texas I would charge way more for the DC's because of working under ground and digging around it if it's covered in mud. The RP's should be way easier to get to. I think the ones in my area usually charge 80-120.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I do not test backflows, but in Texas I would charge way more for the DC's because of working under ground and digging around it if it's covered in mud. The RP's should be way easier to get to. I think the ones in my area usually charge 80-120.
A shop vac solves the digging and mud issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If you have to dig in mud to get to the test cocks, it's not installed correctly and you should fail it and refuse to retest it until the installation has been corrected. If they get someone else to test it that's willing to deal with that crap, let them have the hassles and the liability of passing an incorrectly installed device.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
If you have to dig in mud to get to the test cocks, it's not installed correctly and you should fail it and refuse to retest it until the installation has been corrected. If they get someone else to test it that's willing to deal with that crap, let them have the hassles and the liability of passing an incorrectly installed device.
When new they should be neat and clean, but after that they start building up with crud.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
When new they should be neat and clean, but after that they start building up with crud.
Not if it's installed correctly. If you dig a hole large and deep enough, line the bottom with landscaping fabric and 6" of pea gravel and fold the fabric up around the sides of the box when you backfill, this won't happen.