Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Michigan DOT rules

The recent thread on DOT numbers got me wondering how many MI LCO's are aware of a law that went into place last year here in MI. So, I sent an e-mail off to the DOT asking them to be specific about what is, and what isn't required here now. This is the reply I just received today-

Hello!

Thank you for contacting the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT).

Michigan Public Act 231 of 2012, which took effect last June, exempts commercial vehicles (and commercial vehicle/trailer combinations) weighing less than 26,001 pounds and traveling only within Michigan (intrastate) from the state Motor Carrier Safety Act. These vehicles do not have to register for and display a USDOT number, and are not subject to annual USDOT inspections.

If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of a commercial vehicle -- or a combination of the vehicle and a trailer -- exceeds 26,000 pounds, then a USDOT number is needed. GVWR is the weight that the manufacturer designates to be the safe loaded weight. To obtain a USDOT number, call 888-464-8736 or follow this link:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...escription.htm

Again, thank you for your inquiry!

Jon Ogar
Office of Communications
Michigan Department of Transportation
Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's amazing how some states get more lenient and others get more strict. I think for a lot of guys it's irrelevant cause going out of state does happen sometimes. Either way stay safe.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm just curious to know what guys are driving and hauling that could get them anywhere close to 26,000 lbs. ????

they have an 18 wheeler lawn truck or something?

my truck is like 3500, trailer 600, mower 1400.

i'm coming in at a whopping 5500 lbs.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jason,
there are a ton of companies here that do large commercial operations of both lawn care and landscaping that use 350's, 450's 550's etc to haul 20' + enclosed trailers filled with multiple ZTR's and all the other necessary equipment, or haul skid-steers on heavy duty flatbeds towed behind small dump trucks or 450's 550's with dump beds for landscape installations.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i know but still. maybe if you are hauling a bulldozer or something with a dumptruck on a 20+ feet flatbad trailer you'll get close to 26,000lbs.

this is where things get into a gray area for me. if you are using dumptrucks and such to me you are working in construction and no longer in lawn care.

if you are in the construction business you should have a DOT number anyways.

Last edited by weeze; 02-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
It's amazing how some states get more lenient and others get more strict. I think for a lot of guys it's irrelevant cause going out of state does happen sometimes. Either way stay safe.
I understand you sentiment.

This law was passed in part to help get Michigan's lousy economy moving again by eliminating unnecessary financial burdens on LCO's and farmers etc. Our economy is far worse than most other states even still, and at the height of this last recession it put many LCO's out of business, and many farmers were struggling to make ends meet, so the added costs of unnecessary DOT regs was hurting these industries even further. Many farmers had to operate by the restrictive DOT rules just to haul a couple cows to market or haul farm machinery from field to field on a trailer (such as skid-steers or combine attachments etc.). The state representative that introduced the bill wanted to make things easier and more streamlined for folks to understand and be able comply with.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i'm just curious to know what guys are driving and hauling that could get them anywhere close to 26,000 lbs. ????

Wow, my truck weighs more than your whole rig by 30%. Depending on what I haul I get close or over 26,000. I have mn dot number and have to have a physical every couple years. Most days I wouldn't need it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

efficeincy is the key to success. maybe you should consider a lighter setup. think about how much gas money you could save for the year.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Our trailer is a rolling shop. We have everything we need to service our accounts in one spot. Our accounts are full service so we might need mowers, a permagreen, trimmers, hedgers, wheelbarrows, hand tools, etc.

Our main mow rig without additional load weighs in around 16K. During fall cleanups or mulch season we can scale out in the low 20's most days. That's a 450 11' dump with a 20' trailer. I preached for years how that wasn't necessary and made a million trips back to the shop and changed way too many brakes and steering parts. Now we are safe, efficient, and despite what I initially thought we are actually saving money with that setup. I would not do this for 6 day mowing crews, but this works for our type of service setup.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
efficeincy is the key to success. maybe you should consider a lighter setup. think about how much gas money you could save for the year.
We saved so much going from 5.4's to the new diesels and enclosed trailers that the fuel savings alone almost pays for the trucks. The rest we make up for in efficiency.