Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

fertilizer question

whats the best fertilizer to use. i was thinking of useing the scotts lawn pro 4 step application series would that be a good choice or what ?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In WI you may spread fertilizer w/out a license,,, but I believe the fertilizer you mention here has an herbicide in it so don't do it w/out a license... you could just pick up strait fertilizer and broadcast that after the second mowing... do overseeding as soon as your done blowing... usually walking around with a pail and seeding the barespots by hand is adequate...
If they have TGCL or other squirt and fert guys, then don't bother seeding at all...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

ive heard not to do overseeding until like aug september
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin240 View Post
ive heard not to do overseeding until like aug september
You can over seed any time, but if you lay down a pre-emergent in the spring dont over seed till fall. Like i said though you can over seed whenever. Just make sure your client knows it is very important to water at least once a day for 30 days for all the different types of grass in the seed mix to germinate. It would be best if they would water twice daily but good luck with that.

Try to avoid the very hot parts of the year due to thew whole water thing and usually watering bans or restrictions.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

whats a pre emergent im just starting out trying to gather information on everything
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
whats a pre emergent im just starting out trying to gather information on everything
A pre emergent is a product that inhibits seed growth. so it stop things from growing that havent sprouted roots yet. A post emergent is something that kills weeds that already have sprouted roots and have leaves.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

how do you know you are puting down the right fertilizer
Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
how do you know you are puting down the right fertilizer
Oh man, that is a very short question with a very long and complex answer. Figure out what grasse syou have inyour area. Then learn about those grasses. That is where i would start.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If you look into the MO(Mode of Operation)in regards to Pre-M, you would find that it gets drank in by the root of the germinating seedright along with everything else in the soil moisture, including NPK...

So one of the first things this new little seedling ingests is a growth inhibitor... germinating seeds are vulnerable to many things,,, that they must overcome in order to survive...

Therefore it is easy to kill them with a root inhibitor,,, and that is how it works...

if there are gaps in your application of pre-m and a seed germinates in that area, it will not die, becuz there is no herbicide in that spot... this idea of complete coverage is what advertizers/salesmen have coigned as The BARRIER... so beware of allthe mythology that has built up around the pre-m...

And DON'T take my word for it, or anybody else'd word for it... research 'method/mode of Operation', with pre-emergents... other opinions about other 'cides are likely valid, but this one, you'd bettersearch out yourself...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

ok yea i have been reading up alot on stuff but the only thing that i am confused about is the fertilizeing do you know any good sites or anything that will help me understand it alot better the one side that i no of is http://www.lawn-care-academy.com but i am still confused on reading that