Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Startron Mystery

I put some Startron (for the first time) in my 2-mix gas can along with fresh gas/oil. All ratios were proper for my equipment. I filled my blower with this mix, and not 2 minutes later, the blower dies with a lingering white smoke coming out of the muffler. it was not the bluish-white associated with 2-cycle oil, but rather white with a hint of light gray. It was also very, very hot. It would not restart.
So, back to my shop I go to investigate the problem. My first thought was that the Startron broke up all the carbon deposits inside the engine and other various parts. Great.
I proceed to do the following: Take muffler off/disassemble and clean thoroughly (all pieces). Take carb off/disassemble and clean thoroughly. Clean air filter (didn't really need it). Clean all seals. Put everything back together.......
I get it to start. it runs for 2 or three seconds, and then dies. it will not restart. The fuel at the pump was labeled as containing "up to 10% ethanol". My thoughts now are that the engine is all clogged up with deposits that have loosened due to the Startron. What do you all think?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump it, man!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some of my thoughts. If you have been using E10 (Ethanol) gas then you might want to remember that Alcohol (Ethanol) in itself is a very good cleaner. From what I understand is that with older engine that have not used E10, the risk of letting loose some debris/deposits is high at the time of recent use. After some point in time with E10 use, whatever is going to come loose already has.

Try to tell us more detail about the engine and how long have you had it?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Here are some of my thoughts. If you have been using E10 (Ethanol) gas then you might want to remember that Alcohol (Ethanol) in itself is a very good cleaner. From what I understand is that with older engine that have not used E10, the risk of letting loose some debris/deposits is high at the time of recent use. After some point in time with E10 use, whatever is going to come loose already has.

Try to tell us more detail about the engine and how long have you had it?
As I understand it...and I may be wrong...???
Startron converts any water in the fuel into a burnable alcohol that mixes in with the fuel..
If there was higher than normal amount of water already absorbed into the fuel when you pumped it in your can...it would have resulted in a leaner fuel with a higher alcohol content.
Sounds like you smoked the piston ...were there any scratches visable on the piston when you had the muffler off..???

Rob....in response to your signature....
If your vote could make a difference...they wouldn't let you do it....
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
As I understand it...and I may be wrong...???
Startron converts any water in the fuel into a burnable alcohol that mixes in with the fuel..
If there was higher than normal amount of water already absorbed into the fuel when you pumped it in your can...it would have resulted in a leaner fuel with a higher alcohol content.
Sounds like you smoked the piston ...were there any scratches visable on the piston when you had the muffler off..???

Rob....in response to your signature....
If your vote could make a difference...they wouldn't let you do it....
There weren't any scratches from what I could tell--the piston looked good, but has a brushed as opposed to polished appearance. The blower is a hand-held that is 5 years old. FYI, I have OCD when it comes to equipment maintenance.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Check your compression...rings might be sticking.???

Nothing wrong with OCD when it comes to maintenance...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Check your compression...rings might be sticking.???

Nothing wrong with OCD when it comes to maintenance...
Thanks. Yeah, I think I am going to take apart the whole engine tomorrow (it's supposed to rain). I have to go to work right now, so I'll be back with an update.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As a snake~oil addict:

I learned, the HARD way of course, NOT to run Startron in my 2-strokes. I was finding chunks of carbon in the sparkplug gap. No issues with Seafoam in my 2-strokes, fwiw. And no issues with Startron in my 4-strokes...including my truck.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
I learned, the HARD way of course, NOT to run Startron in my 2-strokes. I was finding chunks of carbon in the sparkplug gap. No issues with Seafoam in my 2-strokes, fwiw. And no issues with Startron in my 4-strokes...including my truck.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think Startron is a bad product for 2-strokes if used from when an engine is new. On the other hand, you take a 5-year-old blower like mine, and infuse it with that stuff--you're going to have problems. It makes sense.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Startron's tag is the inclusion/use of enzymes, fwiw. And IFF these enzymes are actually useful for knocking loose carbon deposits, then it would seem like one should use it with every tank - since 2-strokes are inherently more carbon-prone.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings