Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright people, here's what happened to my blower. It turns out there was NO lubrication inside the piston cylinder nor on the piston--dry as the Sahara. It appears to me that Startron dried out my gas-oil blend. Conversely, there were no carbon chunks anywhere on the spark plug/socket, nor in the muffler. This is my "raw data".
I bought a new blower and will only use Startron in my 4-stroke engines. My initial reason for purchasing Startron was to negate any issues that ethanol would have on my equipment. I'm sure we've all seen the photos of gummed-up parts and corroded seals that ethanol can and will cause.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Alright people, here's what happened to my blower. It turns out there was NO lubrication inside the piston cylinder nor on the piston--dry as the Sahara. It appears to me that Startron dried out my gas-oil blend. Conversely, there were no carbon chunks anywhere on the spark plug/socket, nor in the muffler. This is my "raw data".
I bought a new blower and will only use Startron in my 4-stroke engines. My initial reason for purchasing Startron was to negate any issues that ethanol would have on my equipment. I'm sure we've all seen the photos of gummed-up parts and corroded seals that ethanol can and will cause.
Do yourself a favor....forget the additives! What for?? Isn't the gas you buy expensive enough? Sheesh!!!

......AMF!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OK...let me clarify the RUB I have with these magic potions...
Most of these products have some redeeming quality...if they didn't...everybody would start selling blue and green colored alcohol..
It is the vagueness of their "One Product Fixes Everything " marketing..that lures people into buying this stuff..
The idea that it fixed someone elses problem..so its worth throwing $10 at the problem to see if will fix mine...has made millions of dollars for these companies... All the time never being forthcoming about what their products can't do...
These companies have the money to research the true effects of their products...and are probably aware of their shortcomings..
Truth in advertising...along with disclosure...may cost them some sales...but it would go a long way for their credibility..

If the stuff works for you....use it....trust the power...
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used Startron in my Shamrock boat ( inboard 302Ford ), 'cause it sits quite a bit, the same with my 77 F250 4X4 Highboy.
I can also say that I have , on several occasions, drained the 2cycle mix out of backpacks that have been sitting in the shop for like two months or more waitin' on parts, and used it in the unit I was working on, and had no problems, started right up, and ran great. No evidence of "phase separation" etc. with the old mix.
In fact, the two cycle mixed fuel is mixed and stored in like a couple hundred gallon tank! Sittin' outside, covered in snow as I type. Very little use this time of year. I don't know what brand oil they use, but I'll find out Monday.

......AMF!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its been mentioned several times before: If you can get non-ethanol gas in your area, it can save you some headaches, and money. I try to use it in all my personal equip. and I generally use it in my customers stuff around my shop.

This site can steer ya to a station in your area: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

......AMF!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Its been mentioned several times before: If you can get non-ethanol gas in your area, it can save you some headaches, and money. I try to use it in all my personal equip. and I generally use it in my customers stuff around my shop.

This site can steer ya to a station in your area: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp
Thanks for the link!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wait till they start running on E-15.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Just wait till they start running on E-15.
Just trying to cheer us up....Huh. Ricky.????

I've already seen what happens when you try to run E85 in these engines...
A pissed off customer...with a repair bill...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Just trying to cheer us up....Huh. Ricky.????

I've already seen what happens when you try to run E85 in these engines...
A pissed off customer...with a repair bill...
E85 with a good 2 cycle oil and the correct mix of Ethanol Shield will run a good long time. It's not great for the unit or any of its components and should not be done, but when it's been tested, it is what it is..
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

E85 is 85 percent alcohol. No small engine that I know can run this much alcohol...