Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
it's none of their business. all they have to worry about is their own yard. if they don't own the yard you are working on then their opinion or whatever they have to say about it counts for nothing. it's not up for their approval. the only yard they have a say on is their own yard.

i wish people in this country would just get off it already and stop trying to control everyone else. all they can control is themselves. they can't worry about what every tom, dick, and harry is doing in their neighborhood or their town or country or whatever. nosey control freaks if you ask me.

we live in a free country. if they don't like something they can move out of the neighborhood or go buy a place out in the country where they won't have any neighbors or foreclosed homes to deal with. i had a neighbor once that was a rental house. they never cut their grass. maybe 2 times all year. sure it looked a mess but oh well it's none of my business. i just took care of my yard. that's all i can control. my house sold within a month of putting it up for sale. it didn't affect my house value at all. if people wanna live like trash then let them. they have that right.
Yeah, Health and safety violations not withstanding. Not to mention that in a hoa situation, every resident is paying for the service giving them a right to their opinion.

Not cutting grass does not effect property values, but foreclosures do, and neglected and trashed out foreclosures even more so.
Societies have rules and we all have to live by them, moving away is not a solution, that creates ghettos. People have a right and responsibility to keep an eye on their community. Those who cannot live civilized should be the ones who move out. When you work out in the view of the public you will be scrutinized, live up to the standards and it will not be a problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The world is filled with plenty of bored people with superiority complexes. Regard them as "nobodies" and move on.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
That's funny and true jason! I hate to get on here and ***** but today really got me! I thought to myself, really? What if my wife was in labor or an accident happened? She didn't care, she just wanted it done her way to her standards. I guess I could have picked them up right then and there, but with 15 properties in there, we run it like an assembly line. One truck rolls through and prunes everything and the other truck comes behind and picks it up. Sometimes we get it done in a day, and other times we finish the next day. Bottom line is its none if her business what goes on on a foreclosed property that she doesn't even own
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand your methods, and I think anyone would. The homeowner who called just wanted to be assured. I would certainly take an interest in things if houses were being foreclosed in my neighborhood, or if I was paying into, and depending on, a hoa to purchase and provide maintenance services.

No reason she should not be able to assure herself that her neighborhood is not getting trashed. Yes, she wanted it done to her standards and it is her business, we are talking about her home community and cooperative purchasing of services So, it is her money paying you. You need to learn to expect this or find a line of work that is out of the public view.

If you want to work in neighborhoods where people do not give a $hit, then go where the kids sell drugs on the trash filled streets.

Why does it bother you? Of all the things we deal with in this business, I cannot imagine how you could get bent out of shape because someone is concerned with their neighborhood and has nothing better to do than check into it. We all know the good neighborhoods are full of these people and it is good for business, cause when you get on the right side of these people, they have nothing better to do than help you increase your production. Mostly these people are affluent enough to sit around and decide what the standards are and who can achieve or surpass them.

Do not have such a chip on your shoulder that you are defensive against the bankroll.

Most times when a neighbor takes an interest in what I am doing, I not only assure them that I know what I am doing, but I end up with another sale, work order, invoice, and payment. I guess you just tell them it is none of their business?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all of your opinions are very true. I just wanted to blow off some steam and hear your thoughts. I understand we will always come across people like this from time to time. It's part of life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
The world is filled with plenty of bored people with superiority complexes. Regard them as "nobodies" and move on.
Have none of you heard about word of mouth?

That is what you are talking about the mouths. They are not nobodies, they are customers, and the only place to move on to is out of business.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
all of your opinions are very true. I just wanted to blow off some steam and hear your thoughts. I understand we will always come across people like this from time to time. It's part of life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, and I admit, it does bug me too. One time I had a guy at a condo complex who actually kept stepping in front of me because I was ignoring him telling me how to do my job. Turned out he was not a property owner, but a room mate of some one who was leasing.

I have become more diplomatic (it took time), and now I do turn every situation I can to my benefit. Sometimes people feed off the drama and we have to endure it long enough to turn it to our advantage. Just remember the drama can produce work for you, because someone has to put the drama to rest, and that can get expensive.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

only happy people can make others happy,
unhappy people sometimes try to make others unhappy.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This makes me happy I don't work anywhere near HOAs.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
Yeah, Health and safety violations not withstanding. Not to mention that in a hoa situation, every resident is paying for the service giving them a right to their opinion.

Not cutting grass does not effect property values, but foreclosures do, and neglected and trashed out foreclosures even more so.
Societies have rules and we all have to live by them, moving away is not a solution, that creates ghettos. People have a right and responsibility to keep an eye on their community. Those who cannot live civilized should be the ones who move out. When you work out in the view of the public you will be scrutinized, live up to the standards and it will not be a problem.
my standards are higher than anyone elses so it's never a problem for me.

we don't even have hoa places where i live. never heard of them until i came on lawnsite. in a perfect world what you said would work but we all know 75% of people in the world are nuts and are never gonna play by the rules. you gotta learn to accept reality.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever I get hot about something, I take Jimmy Buffett's advice, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On" Works wonders for me.