Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
No I havent heard of them. But it sounds to me like they deal with a different kind of grass.
Post of the Week lol
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Most of them are trying to get that quick jump in the Landscaping business but have no idea how to keep a customer. they are in turnover not keeping them.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
When I drive past Bill's, it's appearance is either going to pull me in or let me drive on.

There is a chance that I may like the food or will not.

Thing is when I drive by McDonalds I know the food will be of poor quailty. So I will keep on driving.
But the problem is that MILLIONs of other people have pulled in to McDonalds. So even with poor quality their business model works for their target market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IES View Post
But the problem is that MILLIONs of other people have pulled in to McDonalds. So even with poor quality their business model works for their target market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed there is something to be said for a name. many people just go for the name as they are familiar with it and figure they must be good becuase the name has been around for a while.

I just do not think it is worth the price many ask for when you are making or breaking the name for them. I work hard and give good quality finished jobs. I also do not want to be huge. I guess if you are looking to grow massively then a franchise may be the way to go up front.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weedman had their signs in a yard next to one that I mow. I do not treat yards, but wow....their yard has never looked worse after they treated it for a season or so. Not sure if it was the franchise's fault, or the guy who they sent out, or both.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Why Franchises are Dangerous

I would run not walk , franchises are scary , they claim to have your best interest . But there model is built so that they make money no matter what . This defies basic laws of business , Businesses fail, but Franchisors dont fail there franchisees do, the franchisors never loose money, only the franchisees do.
Weedman is very manipulative they act bigger then they are in the landscape management top 100 . They are from Canada at least 95 % is .
The problem is the royalties in most franchises cant exceed 4 to 5 % for one to survive but weedman will take 10 to15 % ,That is insane 60 minutes did a series on it one time with royalties that high its a good shot at failure . i dont recomend franchises because you really get ideas and some tools but thats it , Hire a consultant its cheaper .
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptsketch View Post
Hire a consultant its cheaper .
great advice.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptsketch View Post
I would run not walk , franchises are scary , they claim to have your best interest . But there model is built so that they make money no matter what . This defies basic laws of business , Businesses fail, but Franchisors dont fail there franchisees do, the franchisors never loose money, only the franchisees do.
Weedman is very manipulative they act bigger then they are in the landscape management top 100 . They are from Canada at least 95 % is .
The problem is the royalties in most franchises cant exceed 4 to 5 % for one to survive but weedman will take 10 to15 % ,That is insane 60 minutes did a series on it one time with royalties that high its a good shot at failure . i dont recomend franchises because you really get ideas and some tools but thats it , Hire a consultant its cheaper .
I also run a Weed Man franchise and wanted to clear up a few misconceptions. First, Weed Man's royalties aren't 10-15%- they're typically closer to 5 or 6%. My advice when looking at franchising is to research the available options. I did this for a year before buying into Weed Man. It became very clear early on during my research which franchises were ones that I was interested in pursuing more information from.

Weed Man is the top-ranked lawn care franchise by Entrepreneur Magazine. It was ranked #89 overall and #15 amongst home-based franchises. It's true that Weed Man was started in Canada in 1970. They started franchising aggressively in the US about 10-12 years ago. This year approximately 40% of sales will be from US based branches with the other coming from Canada.

From my experience, I can assure you that I've never felt manipulated or felt like someone was looking over my shoulder with regards to corporate- it's been much the opposite. Not only have they been helpful, but they are ultra-accessible. I can get advice from any of them simply by calling- they have always been there to help.

Buying into a franchise is a huge decision that shouldn't be taken lightly. Do your research. The best way to know what being a franchisee would be like is to reach out to a few and grill them. That's what I did and you'd be surprised what some franchisees from various lawn care franchises would tell me.

Overall it's been a positive experience for me. My business has gone from 0 to 1700 customers in a little over 5 years. I'm never the cheapest option and don't sell on price. If you can do that without a franchise just as fast then maybe a franchise isn't worth it for you- everyone is different. If anyone wants to reach out to me to discuss feel free to.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Who wrote that script for you

Clearly the powers that be have guided this message, sounds like asales pitch not a response.
Look i have no doubt any franchise Has got as much of a chance at failure as any other business , you are not immuned to the pressure of business. Owning a franchise doesnt change the quality of a labor you hire or bring you better leads or make you a better person its just a set of rules.
Weedman is not a leader in the industry , they squirt dirt like Scotts and Trugreen Or Lawn Doctor but no one knows who they are. Why buy a crappy name if you buy a franchise. You dont want a burger world franchise if there is a Burger king or Mcdonalds available
But i am sure you know that , Tell the truth when you buy a Franchise what do you get thats real that you can touch besides, a few freebies at the begining you get nothing but words or advice , You pay for every ounce of every paper, software, conference , Royalties (even if you dont make money ).
Buy the way whats your salary?

Franchises are like gangsters you pay even if things arent good . Thats how they make there money ,They dont care if you had a bad week or year
If
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Franchising works well for some, not so well for others. Our retail and service industries are highly populated by franchises, covering a wide variety of products and services. Some can write highly negative things about franchises, but the upward trending in new local businesses says that franchising is working pretty well. Without any objective stats, my anecdotal observations would indicate that more new businesses are opening under the franchise umbrella, than on their own. The number of small "mom/pop" shops are dwindling, and getting new ones started seems to be a recipe for failure. The marketplace gives a new business very little ramp-up time now, so a steep ramp at the very beginning is necessary. This did not used to be the case.

Weedman just moved into my area. I know of two properties they work, one of which is my mowing customer. I am 100% certain the former applicator dropped said customer for lack of payments (I know his string is very short, and know the customer is a poor payer). I do know they put down material on the entire property, although entirely unnecessary. Also, I know they put down material that produced lots of top growth, which I had to handle. Time will tell if: (1) Their work is successful, (2) If their string is short on prompt payments (my guess is "yes"), and somebody new will show up in a few months.