Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

After 20 plus years in "Corporate America," I purchased a Weed Man franchise earlier this year and I am very happy with the company and the support I have been given. After doing extensive research on numerous types of industries and business models, this industry and the Weed Man model made perfect sense. Yes, they do have franchise fees and ongoing royalties, but we know all of that upfront. I could not have been close to where I am today if I had to do it all myself from scratch. It is not that I lack the intelligence or motivation, it is the lack of a more precious commodity - TIME. The time I would have wasted on finding the right quality equipment, software, computer systems, ad slicks, proven marketing strategies, establishing vendors, etc would have taken too much time. And given the fact that I can call my sub-franchisor or the folks in Canada and get an answer almost immediately on any aspect of the business has been most helpful. And don't forget, banks will lend to a franchise much faster than just a "Schmuck with a Truck." Why? The model has typically proven successful and reduces their risk. And it reduces mine as well.

And don't forget the buying power of Weed Man. With all of the locations across North America, saving a buck or two on a bag of fert IS worth it!

And I AM IN BUSINESS FOR MYSELF. I make my customers happy every day just like everyone else. I make business decisions everyday myself or in consultation with those who have years of experience. I try to make as few mistakes as possible.

I understand and appreciate the whole idea of "starting from scratch" but it wasn't for me. I did buy a "business-in-a-box" and am happy and proud to be associated with the Weed Man brand. The leadership is exceptional. And the name "Kyle's Lawn Care" just didn't sound quite as good as WEED MAN! And there is not a day that goes by that someone passing in a car doesn't laugh and wave and even take pictures. Doesn't everyone like the Weed Man?

And there's my two cents...
Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That may all be true, but you still have ugly trucks lol

Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah.... Laughing all the way to the bank... With ugly trucks.... ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wtg!rofl
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Lol.... Thanks for NOTICING our ugly trucks.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good point.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny how the only ones praising it on here only have like 3 posts and just joined. Hmmm....
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm seriously looking into a franchise, so far my research has told me that it's the franchisee that makes the difference just like any company, if the person buying the franchise is a bad franchisee chances are they are a bad business owner anyway, which the company selling the franchise needs to address. Not everyone is business owner material franchise or not. For me, I was successful in the military because it gave me structure, focus, and a system to operate in, the same as a franchise, not all franchises are created equally. I'm not a proponent to any franchise but like anything in life you only get out of it what you put in to it. With the modern business moving at lightening speed these days franchises make a lot of sense, by the time you make all the costly mistakes on a one man operation start up you could be up and running with a full support staff behind you without all the lost revenue because you "Just didn't know" I've been on my own now for five years and had I started with a franchise five years ago I'm certain I would be in much better shape than I am now, because of all the " I just didn't know" thingy.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBK View Post
Hi guys. BmBurns said that the Weed man take is 4-5%. Why are some of you exaggerating that point? I think that is reasonable for the support they give you. He doesn't have to learn everything from the school of hard knocks and that has great value.

I take credit cards and a huge percentage of my customers pay by credit cards. I pay out about 2.5 percent of my gross including on the sales tax for the ability to use credit cards. But I am happy to do so because I find it easier to get customers when they pay by plastic. They put a credit card on file and I bill after I do the work. My receivables are way down and my growth is way up. I find it well worth what I pay to visa and Mastercard. If Weidman gives BmBurns the ability to grow faster and make more money giving away 4-5 percent than that is an investment in his business that has a good return on investment. I think it is a wise business decision for him.

BTW BmBurns, I'm assuming that percentage is of the gross and not the net right? Also you said you were at 1700 customers correct? How many trucks do you need for that? And at how many customers did you need to get with the franchise fee for you to take a decent wage from your company?

Ted, congratulations on building up your company on your own too!!! Word of mouth growth means you are doing things right! How many customers do you need to have to support 3 trucks?

Thanks guys, I hope you are all having a great season. For me I can't wait for the snow to fly here as I'm looking forward to a nice break. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

First of all, I was in no way trying to sway anyone either way on getting into a franchise or not. I think it could be good for some and not so good for others. At the point I was at when I had the opportunity to buy in, I don't think it would have been a good decision for me. It's going to take hard work and dedication whichever path you choose.

I do sales/service, tree/shrub and whatever regular lawn production I can do out of one of the trucks. The other 2 trucks do straight lawn production. We have around 700 customers. Between regular lawn apps, tree/shrub, aerations and some miscellaneous apps, we stay fairly busy but I think we could actually handle another 150-200 before I need to look at truck number 4 and everything to outfit it along with a new employee to run it.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'm seriously looking into a franchise, so far my research has told me that it's the franchisee that makes the difference just like any company, if the person buying the franchise is a bad franchisee chances are they are a bad business owner anyway, which the company selling the franchise needs to address. Not everyone is business owner material franchise or not. For me, I was successful in the military because it gave me structure, focus, and a system to operate in, the same as a franchise, not all franchises are created equally. I'm not a proponent to any franchise but like anything in life you only get out of it what you put in to it. With the modern business moving at lightening speed these days franchises make a lot of sense, by the time you make all the costly mistakes on a one man operation start up you could be up and running with a full support staff behind you without all the lost revenue because you "Just didn't know" I've been on my own now for five years and had I started with a franchise five years ago I'm certain I would be in much better shape than I am now, because of all the " I just didn't know" thingy.
At around 5 yrs, I think I was at the same point you are at now and I agree with some of what you are saying about the growth might have been faster. I wouldn't say I made any costly mistakes as much as I spent more time making decisions. I also tried to stay out of debt as much as possible while on this journey. I have 5 skid sprayers 3 trucks 3 trailer 2 Z-sprays a Turfco aerator and a host of small equipment. I owe 3 more years on one truck and owe about 5K on one of the Z's. Everything else is paid for.Maybe I was being cautious but debt can be a double edged sword IMO.

At the time I was where you are now, I'd never heard of "WeedMan". TurfDoctor is a whole other deal too. The support would have been good but like I said before, I just couldn't see paying franchise fees on customers I had accumulated on my own. Plus Turfdoctor had their own way of doing things as far as the lawn applications were concerned. The franchisee I spoke of earlier pretty much scrapped many of their ways of applying and adopted what many of us do around here because it works. He was a "greenhorn" when he started and I think the training he received from them left a lot to be desired.

Also, I grew up here, I know a lot of people and a lot of people know or know of me. That list grows every year. The point I'm trying to make is that this makes a difference too. I feel its an advantage that I might not have had in a larger community or urban area.

Honestly, you have to take a lot of things into consideration and you just have to weigh everything out in your own mind.