Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
I thought I saw an awful lot of pairs of shoes in one of your pictures.. unless you wear all of those at some point, you've obviously got some family.. kids, parents, wife, etc living there with you... put their asses to work, especially if your lawn business is a big $$$$ provider to the household, why let them reap the rewards without putting in a little of the work?
Mud room is filled with too many pairs of shoes. Hahaha, I like doing things on my own and making sure they are done right.... My dad helps me with business insight, and my mom second guesses everything I do, or asks me how I know how to do something...... Lil bro gets put to work tho! He is spoiled rotten by me!!!! My gf helps the most and she offers to help!

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Thanks man. Will do. I thought I'd maybe get some sleep before heading out around 1 (hr and a half from now). But nope! Too excited NWS just upped the total to 4-8" overnight & another 3-5" tmrw. 7-13". I love per push & hourly contracts! Especially medium commercials (2-3 acres) that are hourly!
Posted via Mobile Device
I need to bill for last months snow! I would like to get one or two more snows just to help out the 10 day vacation I just took!!!! Well worth it tho. I think I am going to schedule another one exactly the same time , next year... 10 days to clear my head , freshen up my tan, and get ready to work and finish up school.

Hopefully that storm stays north as it comes across Lake Michigan and we get some of it. We only are forecasted to get an inch.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

If you do not want EDDM pieces go to your existing customers on the route, you can not write their addresses on the facing slip. Post office says "Do not deliver Address" part is only for residents called you and rejected any junk mail from you. Is it possible to exclude existing customers from EDDM delivery?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houser View Post
If you do not want EDDM pieces go to your existing customers on the route, you can not write their addresses on the facing slip. Post office says "Do not deliver Address" part is only for residents called you and rejected any junk mail from you. Is it possible to exclude existing customers from EDDM delivery?
i dont mind at all if myxisting customers see my advertisments. I have already got my cards sent out and have actually recieved two emails from present customers wanting to do more work other than landscaping this year. My customers i think enjoy seeing where i take my company and how professional i hold my standards to each year.

Ive never had a present customer as for the same offer on the postcard as 'new customers' either, so i guess i will cross that bridge when i come to it.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

how many days after you dropped the flyers off did it take for your customers to receive in the mail ?? do you know ?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHlandscaping View Post
how many days after you dropped the flyers off did it take for your customers to receive in the mail ?? do you know ?
i dropped it off on monday at 11 am and it was in my mailbox tuesday at 10 am

Less than 24 hours

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
I need to bill for last months snow! I would like to get one or two more snows just to help out the 10 day vacation I just took!!!! Well worth it tho. I think I am going to schedule another one exactly the same time , next year... 10 days to clear my head , freshen up my tan, and get ready to work and finish up school.

Hopefully that storm stays north as it comes across Lake Michigan and we get some of it. We only are forecasted to get an inch.
We ended up getting 7-8" depending on exact location. Left my house at 2:10am Tues (after only an hr of sleep), got home at about 7:30pm, slept from 8-11pm, went back out, cleaned up commercials and did one "on call" resi and finally got home at 9am, slept only 3 hrs (with my phone ringing every 45 min it seemed from a variety of people, no complaining clients though thankfully) and then met with my CPA to get my taxes handled. It was somewhat warm today (30) so I washed off truck and plow and unhooked, unloaded all the bags of salt and everything else.

Fri-Sun looks interesting, a rain/snow/sleet mix and a few inches of accumulation possible. I have a family get-together 2 hrs south of home on Sunday that we do in remembrance/celebration of my Great Grandma that I hope I'll able to make it to with this storm. I'll definitely take the snow though! If temps cool off it could be another 8"! Paying cash for the Lazer Z w/ Ultravac I want may be within reach if we keep getting snow storms!!

I'd love to take a vacation but being as I'm solo with snow (aside from a friend to shovel once in a while when I'm pressed for time) I can't really go on vacation in the winter. Summer weekends are my vacation, heading to motocross races on Friday & riding Saturday & racing Sunday with my toy hauler, mini vacations basically. Definitely clears my mind after a long week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
i dropped it off on monday at 11 am and it was in my mailbox tuesday at 10 am

Less than 24 hours
You sent a route to your neighborhood? I'm thinking of doing that now also. Just to test the waters, I tried doorhangers in my neighborhood but they yielded nothing.

Time to relax and sleep!! 7 hrs in 2 days is not enough
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got all of my postacards bundled and ready to go. Before I started bundling them I called the two post offices to see how they wanted it done. They seemed very familiar with the proccess and answered my questions.

They want them bundled in no more than 100 pieces, with facing slips on each bundle. That's all there is to it. I had 2500 bundled in stacks of 100 in about 20 minutes. The post master said they will sit on them for a day or two if I want, but this may be different for each post office. I paid for the postage online so there is no issue using a credit or debit card.

Do you guys think having go out for Saturday delivery is a good idea or have them wait till next week? The snow on the ground should be melted off by sat with the sun shining. I was thinking the lack of snow and clear sky's with temps in the mid 50s would help people start thinking about spring. Your thoughts?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
We ended up getting 7-8" depending on exact location. Left my house at 2:10am Tues (after only an hr of sleep), got home at about 7:30pm, slept from 8-11pm, went back out, cleaned up commercials and did one "on call" resi and finally got home at 9am, slept only 3 hrs (with my phone ringing every 45 min it seemed from a variety of people, no complaining clients though thankfully) and then met with my CPA to get my taxes handled. It was somewhat warm today (30) so I washed off truck and plow and unhooked, unloaded all the bags of salt and everything else.

Fri-Sun looks interesting, a rain/snow/sleet mix and a few inches of accumulation possible. I have a family get-together 2 hrs south of home on Sunday that we do in remembrance/celebration of my Great Grandma that I hope I'll able to make it to with this storm. I'll definitely take the snow though! If temps cool off it could be another 8"! Paying cash for the Lazer Z w/ Ultravac I want may be within reach if we keep getting snow storms!!

I'd love to take a vacation but being as I'm solo with snow (aside from a friend to shovel once in a while when I'm pressed for time) I can't really go on vacation in the winter. Summer weekends are my vacation, heading to motocross races on Friday & riding Saturday & racing Sunday with my toy hauler, mini vacations basically. Definitely clears my mind after a long week!

You sent a route to your neighborhood? I'm thinking of doing that now also. Just to test the waters, I tried doorhangers in my neighborhood but they yielded nothing.

Time to relax and sleep!! 7 hrs in 2 days is not enough
Good thing you got through it all, and hopefully you can make it with your family. We completely missed the storm which was a bummer for me. Because my commercial lots are all paid up in full for 7 storms. This would be the 8ths storm of the year. So that all would be some fresh money in my account! I really woud like one or two more 2-3" snows. It would start off my season perfectly.

I advertise like crazy in my own neighborhood. There is around 600 homes in my neighborhood, small 1/4 acre lots. I can mow 35 in a day here and they are each around 20-25. This is huge profit for me so i chose to double or triple up my advertising each year on just the 8 streets in my neighborhood. I sent me test batch out at a completely random time in the middle of the week just to see if EDDM has a quick turnaround. BOY THEY ARE FAST!

I am bundling the rest of my 11,000 post cards right now as we speak, (taking a little break on lawnsite)

Then i am going to meet with Craig from Sod Uniforms! Talk about a classy guy with a great printing business! If anyone wants top quality garments for EXTREAMLY affordable prices visit soduniforms.com

I just ordered about 600 dollars worth of stuff from bluecotton (decent quality printing, cheap shirts) and i could have saved 200 from my online order with blue cotton if i used Sod Uniforms.

Check out there website, best of the best! So easy to design and every tool is right there for you.

I am probably going to change my uniform to all embroidered polos and olive green dickie pants to be even that more professional. I am also buying carhart jackets for all my guys(full and part time) so in the fall we dont look like a bunch of hacks with different coats on.

I am also ordering winter hats, ball caps, and nice golf polos with a white logo on them for personal use as well.

Tuffturflawncare: With regards to how much it matters when you send them out, i personally have done weekend shipments, and mid week shipments, and i think the best is Thursday. People are geting ready for planning the weekend chores, and when they see your card, they write your name down to call you over the weekend when they have free time.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had already ordered polos and then saw SodUniform's recent posts on here last week. I ordered hi-vis green shirts with my logo on the front & back (front left), currently awaiting their arrival. I wish he did custom fleeces though. But the site is awesome and I like how you can order as many or as little as you want, most sites are a minimum order of 25 or 50 or w/e and being mostly solo I don't need that many.

And for this weekend, NWS has 1" Fri night and freezing rain, freezing rain & 1-3" of snow Saturday and 1" possible Saturday night. Should be interesting. Great for the bank account but I'm getting sick of winter, I want it to be warm!! I think it's going to be a very late spring unfortunately.

Also, I'm still waiting for my postcards to arrive. I'm working on spring renewal letters & proposals for existing clients and sending them out in the next day or so but I think I'll wait until Saturday to send them out and they'll receive them Monday rather than sending tmrw and receiving Saturday when it's raining/snowing.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.