Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Does that keep your employees in check? The guns and ammo?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen to action1!!!!!!!! The omega gps 4550 is an absolute game-changer! I worked for Orkin for a couple of years... Yes, I was an Orkin man! Anyway, they had the omega's in all the trucks and this thing kept us on track for sure.... We knew if we deviated the slightest bit, we were busted... And if we were on the highway and we went over like 70mph, that was it.... we were fired.. And DO NOT tell your employees.... If you are going to tell them, then what's the point? I know, I know, it's a deterrent.... and it is, and it works really great too.. BUT, if you have some guys that you are already worried about, the GPS is a perfect way to know what's going on.... It's not sneaky, hey it's all of your stuff... Your truck, your trailer, your equipment, your clients, your money, your reputation... You need to know! Some people are the best liars in the world and they will look in your eye and say that they were out doing the route when if fact they were going to their dealers house all day scoring dope.(Purely a hypothetical example) And it sucks because the guy that's been with you for 7 years and busts his ass is probably going to get bent out of shape but just take him aside and explain to him why you are doing it and he will understand......
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The trick is to have software to go with these locators so you do things like analyze the route taken and suggest better route. Put boundry that you want truck to stay in and alert you if outside. Clip is working with the locator we have to offer a package. One thing for sure it would be boring to sit and watch the plotting of 4 or 5 trucks all day.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a product that can be placed on a mower, for location purposes only. I'm not looking to track its every move, but rather just in case of a theft. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanairNC View Post
Does anyone know of a product that can be placed on a mower, for location purposes only. I'm not looking to track its every move, but rather just in case of a theft. Thanks.
US fleet tracking has them...
Old 03-16-2013, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Tracker Jammers

The only problem with these truck tracking devices is that anybody can buy online a tracker jammer that generates a noise that renders these tracking devices useless. You wont even know your employees are using them. You buy them online, plug them into the cigarette lighter and the signals you read back in the office go in and out . They can stop at a job...plug it into the lighter and disappear . They are free to go anywhere they want , return to the location, unplug it and you will be none the wiser. Your tracking report will say they never left the job. IMHO it is better to really screen your employees, keep the same ones for years and develop a trust.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEDGE View Post
The only problem with these truck tracking devices is that anybody can buy online a tracker jammer that generates a noise that renders these tracking devices useless. You wont even know your employees are using them. You buy them online, plug them into the cigarette lighter and the signals you read back in the office go in and out . They can stop at a job...plug it into the lighter and disappear . They are free to go anywhere they want , return to the location, unplug it and you will be none the wiser. Your tracking report will say they never left the job. IMHO it is better to really screen your employees, keep the same ones for years and develop a trust.
Actually if it loses signal it is noted when and for how long. Going into a car wash sometimes does this. If its losing signal daily you know something is up. It keeps honest people from doing dishonest things. A thieve is always a thieve. You can try to stop them but they always try to beat the system.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps View Post
We plan on installing Real Track GPS. No contracts, month to month service (turn on/off each unit as you need it) this was important to us because we don't use the same amount of trucks in the summer as we do in the winter for plowing. Check it out http://www.realtrackgps.com/index.html
This is what we use. Works great at a reasonable price.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
My plan is to try it on my truck then move it to my other two trucks during the rest of plowing season. I'm just going to put it on the truck and the next day go over it with the driver and explain what we are looking for. Then the next.

One driver I think I'll find he doesn't take the quickest way every time and if he missing a turn it will take a bit to get on track. Even though he's done his plow route 8 times so far he depends on the Garmin way to much and doesn't have a good sense of direction (at least compared to me). Besides extra stops for food I don't expect much.

Driver two I'm scared to what I may find. He thinks his valuable while being my weakest employee. Also gets defensive if any constructive critisism is being talked about. I'm going to guess maybe sitting or taking on extra drives but maybe he's just that slow. I have ran his route and the skid driver can tell a big difference in times away from sites. The GPS will give me a good idea to confirm what I think I should do. Being so late in the plowing season I'll just probably put up with it for the next month.

If I like the info I get I'll have 3 units total by spring (2 lawn trucks, 1 irrigation van). Maybe even one for my truck so I can track my time better also.

For the price and commitment it's a good price for the gotrack system. $200 for the unit and what ends up being under $17/month (but you buy it in 1 yr or 2 yr packages). You can also buy a 6 month package but it costs slightly more per month. Another thing that is nice is no hardwiring, just plug it into your obdII port, switch between vehicles no problem.

Just make sure it's because he's failing and not because you don't like that you don't have all young guys.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I went with the DeWalt MobileLock system. Pretty nice so far. Very easy to customize, and a trusted name for sure.

www.dewaltmobilelock.com