Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Problems getting tags for enclosed trailer in Virginia

Ok, from the start I know having title issues with a trailer is a pain in the butt in Virginia. I bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer from a guy that moved up here from Florida with it. I got a HELL OF A DEAL. It is a Horton hauler, all the bells, in good shape, 2006.

Now the issue, I have the orgin document from the dealer. I assumed that is all I needed. But then find at the Virginia DMV that it was never titled in Florida. So the orginal owner bought it and his name is on the orgin document and then the guy I bought it sold it to me. Either ever titled it due Florida doesn't title trailers under 2000lb.

The DMV told me I needed to get 2 bills of sale from the guy that sold it to me. One where he bought it and then one where he sold it to me. By the way my buddy that is a cop ran the VIN for me to make sure it wasn't stolen before I bought it.

Now on to my questions, WHAT can I do that is the easiest. Anyone ever title an enclosed trailer home made in VA? What other opitions do I have in Virginia other than farm use.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

In Ohio we can just get a weigh slip and register it as homemade.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://staabagency.com/

go with maine tags much easier and much cheaper. this is the link to the company i use. i recommend them to everyone
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude, you have a tough road ahead. My brother bought a trailer in PA and wound up in the very same situation. It took him years and a bunch of phone calls to finally get it registered. Almost wound up in jail when he got frustrated and just slapped a tag from another trailer on it and got caught. Happened to know the right person to slip out of that one.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I saw someone talk about calling Maine DMV instead of paying a company to do it for you. Anyone know about this?

I would prefer getting tags in Virginia and have title for resale reasons later on. I am trying to contact the original owner to get a bill of sale but can't find him as of yet. He has a very common name. Almost feel like just writing up my own bill of sale so DMV will retitle it for me. But I would be afraid they would find out even though bill of sales in Virginia don't have to be notized. I mean I know for fact it wasn't stolen. Just getting screwed by law differences in states.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't heard of anyone calling. If I remember right my registration is my name but their address ill have to check. But the price you pay them is very low. It was $88 for 5 years registration l no inspections. Had to pay $10 for shipping and a 1 time fee of $20 for power of attorney so for a total of $118 my trailer is registered for 5 years and 100% legal. I have 2 more trailers I'm switching to Maine this month it's so easy they make it hard not to
Posted via Mobile Device