Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kawasaki bigger hp motors don't look good.

What is going on with Kawasaki's larger HP motors (23hp and up)? I once considered them bullet proof. All Kawy's I've had over 25hp (4 of them) have been bad to say the least. I like Vanguards and even Kohlers. Everyone seems to be having issue's. Burning oil,oil turning black and some just blowing up. They even sound like POS.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This guy that once worked for me also had once worked at the Kawasaki plant where the motors are assembled. He said it was super fast paced work and he would often slop through the production, as well as a lot of other people. This dude was an idiot to say the least. After he told me that, it made me cringe. He said screws maybe were left missing and parts were not tightened all the way... I usually try to find the biggest motor available when I buy a mower, but now, I think I am going exclusively to Kohlers no matter what.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon7 View Post
This guy that once worked for me also had once worked at the Kawasaki plant where the motors are assembled. He said it was super fast paced work and he would often slop through the production, as well as a lot of other people. This dude was an idiot to say the least. After he told me that, it made me cringe. He said screws maybe were left missing and parts were not tightened all the way... I usually try to find the biggest motor available when I buy a mower, but now, I think I am going exclusively to Kohlers no matter what.
I'm sure that was before he was fired.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
What is going on with Kawasaki's larger HP motors (23hp and up)? I once considered them bullet proof. All Kawy's I've had over 25hp (4 of them) have been bad to say the least. I like Vanguards and even Kohlers. Everyone seems to be having issue's. Burning oil,oil turning black and some just blowing up. They even sound like POS.
I will most certainly not buy another Kawasaki. Aside from one last phone call I'm going to make to SCAG this week, I will have exhausted all efforts I know to fix my Cheetah's oil problem, that is still under its first year warranty.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a fx801 on one of my mowers its 29 hp and in my opinion it uses excess oil.... at 400 hours it seems to use almost two quarts between oil changes ive never had a small engine use that much especially one with only400 hrs... I change oil every 100 hr and use Mobil one 10 w30.
Posted via Mobile Device