Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Post Plowing Turf Repair

What do you guys do? Sod? Seed? Seed w/ an organic compound of soil? For those that seed (or even if you do sod), how do you time it with your crabgrass pre-emergent apps?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on the damage, amount, and account. Sometimes what you tear up with the plow is almost like a piece of sod so you relay it and in a week you can't tell. I've sodded where a plow driver made a 5x10 extension of a guys driveway. I've seeded little non irrigated spots also. For crabgrass, pre emgerent issues, if you service the account during the summer you can't put down pre emgerent if you seed so you'll need to spray a post emgerent during june (let seed establish etc).

First plow this year the ground was not frozen and I had 16" of snow. Ill have some fixing to do when the snow melts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

usually rake up the rocks, throw down a little soil and seed. This brings up a good topic how do you guys charge for plowing damage repair?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you do a good job of seeding as soon as the plowing is done, you shouldn't have to worry about pre-m for a coupleof months... Here we seed on Mar. 1st... It is great if we do get those March snow storms that melt away in afew days or so... that really helps get the seed of to a great start...
The biggest problem LCOs have in the Spring is seeding to late and pre-mming to early...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If you do a good job of seeding as soon as the plowing is done, you shouldn't have to worry about pre-m for a coupleof months... Here we seed on Mar. 1st... It is great if we do get those March snow storms that melt away in afew days or so... that really helps get the seed of to a great start...
The biggest problem LCOs have in the Spring is seeding to late and pre-mming to early...
March we tend to get heavy wet snow in mn. Typically no one starts spring clean ups till april 15th due to soft ground. Usually after april 1st guys will fix plow damage unless its a really poor outlook for snow. Pre em goes done early to mid may depending on temps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I go around in the spring and repair any plow damage I caused. Sometimes it's just a matter of replacing pieces of sod. It's important to do this in early spring before any such pieces of sod begin to root and get stuck where they're laying. Other times I'll rake out the area, add topsoil if needed and then seed and straw. I don't generally fertilize it. Whatever I do is no charge to the customer because it's damage I did. I don't think I've ever gotten a request to fix plow damage done by someone else.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive had to go in and fix other guys damage before that is why im asking.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why I asked this djagusch, with that big storm we had, the ground was barely frozen, and I tore up some turf on residentials. And for the guy that asked, there Is no charge for it. But if it were from a different company, depending on what the client wants, I'd maybe tell them to push the previous company to repair it or ill do it for my standard sod or seeding prices. I actually hit my next door neighbor's (full service maint) irrigation head and ripped the top of it off during the first storm. I'm definitely not happy about that but that's how it goes sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would do it and price it like any other turf repair if it was damage I didn't cause myself, probably with a $100 or so minimum. I would seed and straw it over using sod...not a big fan of sod for most situations, not that it doesn't have it's place. I find a Grass Stitcher pretty handy for small repairs. www.grassstitcher.com
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I repair any severe damage I do at no charge. Little scuffs and minor scrapes I don't repair. I just add good topsoil and seed. I havn't had to repair any yards in 5 years. When you offer free repair for severe damage it keeps you paying attention to where the plow is!
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments