Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Fire ants in lawn

Anyone using topchoice for fire ants? Do you give a warranty? Do you have a minimum charge?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nope

1 It takes awhile for the initial kill

2 It last too long in the clay soils and you only get one app fee per year

But that is just my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

your opinion is good. Those are valid points. we are trying to offer a few different options for customers.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used twenty 50 Lb. bag's on a clay based bermudagrass golf course in Ga. It worked great, that place had a real fireant problem. It was expensive but completely worth it to me. I would use generic now but that brand name stuff lasted about 8 month's.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestman01 View Post
Anyone using topchoice for fire ants? Do you give a warranty? Do you have a minimum charge?
I use Top Choice but usually only on customers with a "Champagne" budget.

I met with a tech for a very reputable Termite/Pest control company the other day to have a new Termite contract drawn up and application done for my house. Previous company would never show up for annual inspections. I shouldn't have to call and hassle them for an easy money annual inspection.

Anyway, in talking to the tech I found out they are charging $20/1000 for Top Choice Fire Ant treatments. They do them for several schools and a couple of retirement communities. I about fell over. I charge a little less than 75% of that. Maybe I am giving too good of a deal??

I do offer a warranty because it works great and call backs are few and far between and the cost is high for the customer. I treated my parents 1/4 acre lawn/landscape 13 months ago and still have not seen a Fire Ant.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

pour gas on the bastards........ no wait that'l kill the grass; nevermind
Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Topchoice is one of the best product out, thus very expensive. Since its Fipronil based - like Termidor - it will control MANY different insects as well as the ants. You can however offer a somewhat cheaper alternative to this - using granular or liquid Talstar - which is another wide spectrum insecticide and works well to rid the lawn of general insect pests, much cheaper than Fipronil. And keep in mind - with ants and some other pests, you don't have to applicate every square inch of the lawn, mainly outer perimeter and around the house perimeter, and then i'll do some 'irregular' patterns around the middle of the lawns too further lock down where they can travel.

Always keep in mind though to be sure to switch up your application choice from time to time or else you'll end up building up an immunities.