Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl KM 110R Carburetor problems

I have a KM110R that starts up and Idles. Starting can be somewhat rough but after a 4-5 pulls it manages to start. After I get it warmed up and try to use it I have issues...

It doesn't rev up properly. It seems to bog unless I play with the throttle. After I get it up in RPM's it will run at full throttle for a few seconds and then started to bog down and shut off if I hold the throttle down. If i let the throttle go then it doesn't shut off and idles.

What I have done...I tuned the carb to factory settings and nothing. Cleaned the magneto and have brand new spark plug and new filter. I have even played with the tuning with all sorts of combinations and nothing seems to get better. Only worse. Fuel lines are healthy and brand new gas. Only thing I haven't done is take apart the carb or Clean the head of the engine.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advanced
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clean the spark arrestor screen and exhaust port first, if that doesn't do it, adjust the valves.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had some success with the stihl decarbonizer. If the unit is older and you have never done this try it. And like dboyd said adjust the valves. Also if you have a bunch of grease and dirt on and around the carb look at the gasket between the insulator and head. I have recently replaced 2 of them one KM110 and an FC90.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have about 20 of the 4mix handhelds...they hold up pretty good...
At the first sign of trouble I check the sparkplug...then the valve adjustments...
Those 2 things fix most of the problems...
An easy way to check the isoplate for leaky gaskets ...is to grab ahold of the breather cover while it is running.and try to twist it back and forth...side to side...if the engine speed fluctuates..gasket is leaking..
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
I have had some success with the stihl decarbonizer. If the unit is older and you have never done this try it. And like dboyd said adjust the valves. Also if you have a bunch of grease and dirt on and around the carb look at the gasket between the insulator and head. I have recently replaced 2 of them one KM110 and an FC90.
Stihl decarbonizer is that like mechanic in a can
Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Adjusting the carburetor takes a lot more experience than twiddling around with the screws, even the most experienced mechanics there is a chance it would be easier to replace it but at the very least try adjusting it proper first:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7207348_adju...arburetor.html
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar issue with the same machine. It would idle fine but throttling up became progressively more difficult until it wouldn't at all no matter how long I let it warm up. Exhaust was clean as was the air filter. Carb looked good and engine wouldn't rev up on ether. Replaced the ignition module. Runs fine now.