Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The under 18 thread...

I just wondered how many of us kids are on here, any other "mower boys" out there? also is there any females in this line of business?

2003 Chevy 2500 HD 4X4
2005 John Deere Gator 4x4
1992 Suzuki Carry 4x4
1992 Ford F250 2wd
2002 Exmark Lazer Z HP 23/52
2007 Exmark Lazer Z XS 31/66
6x16 open trailer
4x8 open trailer
RedMax & Shindowa hand helds
I like to see grass trembel before me
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowman16 View Post
I just wondered how many of us kids are on here, any other "mower boys" out there? also is there any females in this line of business?

girls below 18 years working? kinda far fetched...but ya, i'm a mower boy
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lol Girls working under 18 is hard to find but I am a mower boy as well.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what about that katie character
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a mower boy. 16 this year.

nick
Old 04-07-2007, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm 16!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am 28 but feel like 48 after doing this since I was 13.

LOL I dont really feel like I am 48. Well once in a while it gets to me but not to often.

Young men let me speak a few words of wisdom here. This is a business that will either take you no where in life except for just getting by from year to year or if your a real go getter and work hard and build it up you can create a comfortable life for yourself. Alot of it has to do with the area you live in. Around here you damn site better make $60,000 or more a year if your single if you want to survive. Other areas of the country people can live well on $30,000 a year.

You guys are young still and full of energy. Here is what I suggest and this is from experiance. GET A COLLEGE EDUCATION and do this work in your spare time. Once your out of college you can decide if you want to grow your business or not. If you do decide to grow your business you have 1 big huge thing going for you. A COLLEGE EDUCATION that you can fall back on if you ever need to. I didnt go to college and it was a mistake. I am damn good with computers and routers and the such. I should have gone to college and gotten a degree in information technology which would have landed me an easy $100K a year job with full benefits and retirement but I didnt. I enjoy what I do most of the time and enjoy being my own boss but it would have been nice to have something to fall back on.

Please dont think I am preaching to you because I am not. I just want to see you guys succed and do well in life and thought maybe you guys would listen to somebody thats closer to your own age than somebody thats older.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-07-2007, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post

LOL I dont really feel like I am 48. Well once in a while it gets to me but not to often.

Young men let me speak a few words of wisdom here. This is a business that will either take you no where in life except for just getting by from year to year or if your a real go getter and work hard and build it up you can create a comfortable life for yourself. Alot of it has to do with the area you live in. Around here you damn site better make $60,000 or more a year if your single if you want to survive. Other areas of the country people can live well on $30,000 a year.

You guys are young still and full of energy. Here is what I suggest and this is from experiance. GET A COLLEGE EDUCATION and do this work in your spare time. Once your out of college you can decide if you want to grow your business or not. If you do decide to grow your business you have 1 big huge thing going for you. A COLLEGE EDUCATION that you can fall back on if you ever need to. I didnt go to college and it was a mistake. I am damn good with computers and routers and the such. I should have gone to college and gotten a degree in information technology which would have landed me an easy $100K a year job with full benefits and retirement but I didnt. I enjoy what I do most of the time and enjoy being my own boss but it would have been nice to have something to fall back on.

Please dont think I am preaching to you because I am not. I just want to see you guys succed and do well in life and thought maybe you guys would listen to somebody thats closer to your own age than somebody thats older.
Thats some good advice you guys should listen to. I just turned 20 two days ago and I am taking courses at community collage. Its really something good to do for yourself. Even if its only business classes at night its something benefiting you AND business.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post

Your not too old to go back to school and get a degree. Take evening classes.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-07-2007, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 17 and I've been in buisness for 5 years now! I've decided this is the carrier for me after I'm out of the U.S Marine Corps which I've chose to do for four years of my life. As for females in the field no way man. My girl friend went with me for a day after I taught her how to use the mid-size, Thats the only day shes worked for me about a year from now. ( She says," I got to dirty" ) But I still love her.