Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2015, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Raptor SD 2015

First I would like to say hello. This is my first post to Lawnsite. I have been reading and learning for a few months now, but did not have the need to post.

I am a former owner of a 2000 Saber (John Deere sponsored) 42' riding mower. The mower was serviced yearly with out much issue. This past summer I moved to a new home in NJ after leaving MD. Approximately 1.5 acres of mowable lawn, no trees, no major inclines. Mowing time took about 4-6 hours, this is with mowing, trimming, edging, blowing and additional weekly maintenance. My lawn would need a weekly mow to look nice no matter what. I am sure the full irrigation system helped with growth. My first problem was that my lawn treatment service advised me that I was cutting the lawn to short, which I found rather funny because the mower was always at the highest setting, which I considered a utility setting and not a mowing setting. I brought the mower to a new service center here in NJ, stressing that I was unhappy with lawn appearance and wanted the deck higher. To my surprise they advised me that the mower needed new blades, spindles and they suspected that the stamped deck was bent pretty seriously. I asked them if the mower had any value and they advised me it was worth about 400 bucks at best and they would offer me 50 just for the engine.

I began my investigation for a new tractor or ZTR with a 3,000 dollar price ceiling. I cut my own lawn and its kind of a "Zen" thing for me. if the cost of the mower was going to be that substantial I would just get a service.

I stated with JD because I thought that the Saber held up and wanted to give them another shot. I was really thinking about getting a residential ZTR but JD wanted to push me into a tractor. This is fine, but I really have no need for additional tractor capabilities. I don't tow or plow and when asking about ZTRs they suggested just going to a big box store unless I was going to buy a 5 grand plus ZTR that really wasn't residential or to my needs. Obviously the draw of a quicker mow is very enticing and I can spend more time on other yard maintenance. Honestly even if a ZTR cut substantial time off of physically cutting I would still spend the same amount of time out there cleaning other stuff.

I looked at Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Toro and stumbled upon Hustler. I felt that the Hustler Raptor was pretty impressive for a residential ZTR, but for a few hundred more the SD just seems like a better buy for a multitude of reasons specifically sturdy build and longevity.

I went to just about every dealer within a 50 mile radius and found a lot of price differences. Of course they are trying to move floor models. The best deal I can currently find on a 2015 Raptor SD 54' is $3,600 which I think is pretty good minus the fact that I went little above my $3000 window. Just wanted to see if you guys felt that was a fair price? Also I can't really find anything comparable to that build at that price. Any info there would help as well.

Of course thanks for having me and I appreciate all the helpful learn material on this site from the pros. I really enjoy getting other there and trying to keep up. Thanks.

Last edited by Dem79lawns; 02-21-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry posted this in the wrong Sub. Reposted it over in equipment.