Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

when do you guys generally starting bidding new wprk?

Like title says... when do u guys start cold calling.and trying to drum up new work.... we have expanded every year and I want this season to be no different.. I deal with strictly commercial properties but will do full service on the owners homes if possible... just yesterday another lco was in the local paper saying he's in jail for fraud/ not paying taxes...and being sued by 10 people.... lol he tried telling me last year how well he was doing and.wanted to buy me out! Ha so.... that being said u think its morally wrong to go after his better accounts considering I believe his buisness is done?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're asking if it's morally wrong to market to clients you don't have? Do you feel like you can service them better than the last guy?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well sure I know I can... I generally do not go after prospective clients that I know who maintains them... honestly I don't know why I don't as I feel the majority I could service better....I'm sure these same people try winning my clients over year after year...so I guess that answered that question.when do u guys go after new accounts? I generally do not start till Feb. since we are warm season turf guys here... but I do know last year I had found some contracts had.been made before I got to them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ABM = always be marketing. If you have a low-cost way to get yourself in front of a large # of clients, it's worth doing (whatever that may be).

I've never understood the kumbaya, big warm hug theory on lawnsite of "oh I know the guy who services those 200 accounts, those are off limits." Unless you guys are so tight you're attending his daughter's baptism and he's having you over to shoot pool, I don't get it. It's business. If I lose business to someone I know, I assume that either they were a better fit for the client or they sold themselves better, and I need to improve some part of my game. I'll still sit with them at next year's Techo showcase or whatever.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can agree with that... unfortunately most people can't have that respect for other competitors in town and.just get mad..... instead of figure out why they lost the customer and correcting it before more.is loss.... I read post after post on here about advertising... I've personally just did door hangers and flyers.... both were a total bust! I did not hit them up multiple times though....so as far as advertising goes I'm at a loss on what to try... maybe postcards at targeted neighborhoods...? I'm getting involved.and making my presence know in the communitye by joining the chamber, community events and donating to community auctions.... everyone knows my vehicles that are lettered... but still has.not translated.into calls?
Posted via Mobile Device