Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't people mind their own dang business

My company maintains a hand full of foreclosed homes in a high end country club golf community. Well today we went by and pruned the crape myrtles at all the homes, stacked all the limbs up in the driveways so that our other truck could come by and quickly load up the debris. I didn't even make it back to the shop when the Hoa lady is calling me saying that a neighbor called in and complained that we didn't finish the job and left the homes a mess. Really? Does this neighbor know my schedule? Does she know our process of handling properties? She assumed we just wacked everything down and just hauled ass! The Hoa lady totally understood, and was concerned that maybe another neighbor had took it upon themselves to trim the trees. She said it was no problem and just carry on as normal. But I can't believe people are so bored and sit around looking thru their blinds trying to find something to gripe about
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lucky you she didn't't call the cops we some times have people call the cops just because the truck is one foot in front of their property
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am and have been President of my HOA for four years. You wouldn't believe the complaints I get. It has gotten to the point where I am basically telling chronic complainers to get a life. I threatened one with a restraining order due to a threat he made when I blew him off. I guess the rest of the community understands because they keep voting me in. I'd like to get off the board but I fear one of these jack wagons will get in office and really be a pain. In your case they were just checking up to make sure the job would be completed. foreclosed homes are a blight in communities.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unbelievable! Really? People call the cops for stupid stuff like that? It blows my mind because I try to put myself in the situation, thinking if I looked out the window and saw a company trimming shrubs on a property that has been empty for at least 6 months, I would be happy someone is working on the place. Now after about 2 weeks I would wonder why no one had picked up the limbs but hell we weren't gone even an hour!! What if we were just getting lunch, or ran to the gas station?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can understand people just trying to keep the neighborhood looking nice, that's what we are there for. But I couldn't believe someone would jump to conclusions and assume we weren't going to finish within an hour of pruning!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, this kind of thing happens all the time. The associated homeowners are the worst cause you have fifty opinions about one property.

Most important is that you do not let it get to you, it is just another day in the business. Beyond that you may find that these things can lead to more work. Listen carefully to the comments, complaints, and concerns and suggest how more services can remedy the situation. In this case, maybe, next time sell quicker clean up service at a higher price.

A lot of times I read posts here where someone thinks that they are being criticized or stressed out by their clients when in truth, they are being told that they should be providing more service or product.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess next time ill knock on all the neighbors doors in the area and ask if they have a preference on how we work on the foreclosed home next to them haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's none of their business. all they have to worry about is their own yard. if they don't own the yard you are working on then their opinion or whatever they have to say about it counts for nothing. it's not up for their approval. the only yard they have a say on is their own yard.

i wish people in this country would just get off it already and stop trying to control everyone else. all they can control is themselves. they can't worry about what every tom, dick, and harry is doing in their neighborhood or their town or country or whatever. nosey control freaks if you ask me.

we live in a free country. if they don't like something they can move out of the neighborhood or go buy a place out in the country where they won't have any neighbors or foreclosed homes to deal with. i had a neighbor once that was a rental house. they never cut their grass. maybe 2 times all year. sure it looked a mess but oh well it's none of my business. i just took care of my yard. that's all i can control. my house sold within a month of putting it up for sale. it didn't affect my house value at all. if people wanna live like trash then let them. they have that right.

Last edited by weeze; 01-23-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny and true jason! I hate to get on here and ***** but today really got me! I thought to myself, really? What if my wife was in labor or an accident happened? She didn't care, she just wanted it done her way to her standards. I guess I could have picked them up right then and there, but with 15 properties in there, we run it like an assembly line. One truck rolls through and prunes everything and the other truck comes behind and picks it up. Sometimes we get it done in a day, and other times we finish the next day. Bottom line is its none if her business what goes on on a foreclosed property that she doesn't even own
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I guess next time ill knock on all the neighbors doors in the area and ask if they have a preference on how we work on the foreclosed home next to them haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe next time you talk with your hoa contact you see it as a customer service call and rest assured that your achieving customer satisfaction.

If someone in the neighborhood notices that you are doing work, look at it as exposure for your company.

The nosey neighbor in this story was only looking after her own concerns. Each and every foreclosure effects the value of their home. Foreclosed homes are often neglected and when things are done they are often done poorly, unsafely, and conditions decrease, further causing a downturn in the area property values.