Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help in State of Virginia - Fertilizer Application Training Needed

State just passed statute a few months ago stating that Pesticide Applicators have to have additional training as Fertilizer Applicators. My understanding is that the regulation was supposed to go into effect in February; but that the training has not been offered and the state is not ready to regulate. Does anyone out there in Virginia, have any information on any training becoming available. Pretty stupid to write a regulations without being ready to support it.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I just talked with the state office in Richmond yesterday and they emailed me all the paperwork, laws and a status of the new updates. As if February 1, 2013 every business that applies fertilizer has to have at least 1 person certified for fertilizer application. If you apply more than 100 acres total per year of fertilizer you have to mail them a report / log of your fertilizer applications by February of the next year. The Virginia turf grass council is currently the only entity in the state that has an approved course they can teach. If you go to their website they have their schedule listed. They are supposed to be offering 10 classes by June. According to the information I received from the state, they hope for VTECH to have their online course up and running in 2-3 months. You can call down to the VDACS office, ask for information on the Fert cert and they will email it to you.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifan4272 View Post
I just talked with the state office in Richmond yesterday and they emailed me all the paperwork, laws and a status of the new updates. As if February 1, 2013 every business that applies fertilizer has to have at least 1 person certified for fertilizer application. If you apply more than 100 acres total per year of fertilizer you have to mail them a report / log of your fertilizer applications by February of the next year. The Virginia turf grass council is currently the only entity in the state that has an approved course they can teach. If you go to their website they have their schedule listed. They are supposed to be offering 10 classes by June. According to the information I received from the state, they hope for VTECH to have their online course up and running in 2-3 months. You can call down to the VDACS office, ask for information on the Fert cert and they will email it to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

If t If they don't have classes until June how can they make people responsible for the statute in February?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

The classes start in February and they are going to put on 10 total by June. They also said other businesses were trying to schedule classes as well, so it could be more. It's the state, what do you expect! I gave up trying to understand why things are done the way they are.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. Going stir crazy. I cant believe I'm saying this but I am ready for spring!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

there is one going on next mo. in roanoke at landscape supply. A little far for you. Its pest. hrs to.