Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, but is this for real? I chuckled just picturing the mayhem.....That has nothing to do with your shop being near your house and everything to do with hiring and managing.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Sorry, but is this for real? I chuckled just picturing the mayhem.....That has nothing to do with your shop being near your house and everything to do with hiring and managing.
My thoughts exactly. Do I wish I had a dedicated shop, yes, it is already in the works but for now it isn't in the budget. Should I fear people who work for me, no, any former employee can look up your land tax records and find your address if they really wanted to do something.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
My thoughts exactly. Do I wish I had a dedicated shop, yes, it is already in the works but for now it isn't in the budget. Should I fear people who work for me, no, any former employee can look up your land tax records and find your address if they really wanted to do something.
My thoughts exactly. Almost typed up this same message, but said oh well.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Of course it's easy for you guys to say how everything should get done, but it doesn't always go as planned. It's a mix of hiring friends, becoming too friendly with employees, and border line shouldn't have a job employees.

Myself, and many contractors I know run into the same problems. We have the full time guys, some good, some decent. And then there are the part time and as needed guys. They are not the best workers, they have terrible attitudes, but they are needed as a "body". A lot of the jobs we do require a certain amount of guys on that one job, everyday.

There is always talk on here, "yea I would fire him in a second and replace with a good employee". I say come on that never happens.

It's like telling Dunkin donuts to fire everyone and get new employees so your coffee never gets made wrong
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I had to have a certain # of bodies on a job I'd go through a temp agency instead of hiring deadbeats who blow donuts on my property. My employees respect myself and my business, if they don't they are terminated.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"they have terrible attitudes".....it doesn't have to be this way, buddy. I'd stay small or downsize before hiring/keeping guys with bad attitudes. I'd take a cut in pay first. Wish you the best and better luck this season!! =D
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been thru temp agencies before, didn't have good luck

By terrible attitude I mean "for $10 an hour I'm doing this?!?" Or "ughhhh do we have to do that"

This is the part where you guys say "well if you pay ur help more, you will get more out of them". Which is true, in 1 out of 20 guys.

It's so easy to terminate help, but then you have to replace, train and all that good stuff.

We have been the same size/growing slowly each year. We do residential, commercial, hoa, and municipal work. Have a good rep, and never failed to complete a contract. Most customers we have had for years and are on a first name basis with myself or my forman. Working hours usually go smoothly, it's when you get back to the house, off the clock and have a bunch of mostly younger guys is when all this happens

Bash me all you want, just sharing my experience with running from my house.
It sounds like most of the critics are experts, if you want to pm me and tell me your secret that would be nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not bashing anyone I'm just trying to figure out why have guys on the payroll who are a liability? We've hired underperformers part time because we needed a guy on a trimmer or a mower, but when they become poison it's time for them to hit the road. I do agree, there are some people whether you pay them $10 or $20 it makes no difference in their attitude/performance and I also agree finding help is getting harder and harder to find.