Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
If $3 makes the difference I don't want that customer!
why is that?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26 View Post
why is that?
If $3 on price is a deal breaker, I didn't do my job as a salesman.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I get that but you are there to cut someones lawn we're not selling cars. Anyone with a pulse could do this job. Sure being a people person helps but we aren't curing cancer. In the upscale neighborhoods where I cut a lot of guys are using the same gear or close to it, so its a buyers market.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

125 lawns average 160/ month. 7 months. 2%. Costs you 2,800. Little more expensive than paper and stamps. But not THAT much cheaper.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I get that but you are there to cut someones lawn we're not selling cars. Anyone with a pulse could do this job. Sure being a people person helps but we aren't curing cancer. In the upscale neighborhoods where I cut a lot of guys are using the same gear or close to it, so its a buyers market.
We don't do much of the mow n go stuff, we leave that to the lowballers and the crumbsnatchers
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the guy with the crazy low rates has still to answer who he uses for that great of a price. i am sure everyone here would want to use the cheapest rate for the service..................
Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Anyone with a pulse can sell cars also, and really anyone with a pulse can sell if they have that certain personality and gift of gab ability, don't put yourself at the bottom of the rung, there are lots of jobs out there that don't require a whole lot of brains to do, and there are lots of people out there that are highly educated that couldn't do what we do even if they had to. I know it's not rocket science but it still beats working for the other guy, by a long shot! and that's the beauty of it all. I have people tell me all the time I wish I could do what you do.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Anyone with a pulse can sell cars also, and really anyone with a pulse can sell if they have that certain personality and gift of gab ability, don't put yourself at the bottom of the rung, there are lots of jobs out there that don't require a whole lot of brains to do, and there are lots of people out there that are highly educated that couldn't do what we do even if they had to. I know it's not rocket science but it still beats working for the other guy, by a long shot! and that's the beauty of it all. I have people tell me all the time I wish I could do what you do.

Do not be a "me too" guy.

Make people feel good about being smart enough to hire you.

Back to the CC thing. I use Intuit Payment Network and Intuit Merchant Account. I am very seriously considering dropping the merchant account altogether.

There is no way CC companies are going to offer 1, 2 percent points back to comsumers and only charge less than 2% to the vendor. I am often hit with 3.9% and I am told that is the default fee when someone uses a reward card.

The way they do this is the transaction fee of say 1.75% is taken out when you get your money. Then at the end of the month they hit you with the extra fees. It is very confusing.

There are interchange fees,
There are qualified discount rates ( this is the intial fee)
Then they come back and hit you at the end of the month with Discount Qualification Fees which I am told is keyed in rate vs swipped rate as well as the surcharge for the reward cards.

Looks like there is about to be a class action settlement where visa, Master Card and all the big banks are going to settle without admitting liability.

Smart money says the settlement will only help Visa and Master card.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/bu...anted=all&_r=0