Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Porkins. I sent you a PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Woodman, truck looks great thanks for the pics
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Shady! Did you decide what you wanted to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there Woodman, great looking rig man.... Just wondering what the benefits will be to you running this instead of..... say, .....one of your dump trucks with your enclosed trailer? It seems as if you are busy and also succesful so I know you wouldn't have bought it if you didn't think it would streamline your business somehow... Again, awesome looking truck and I am just trying to understand the application of these trucks because i have seen quite a few popping up lately... thanks again!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Armsden,

Very good question. There are several reasons that I got this truck. I was going to get another 4 door truck anyway. I did not own a dump truck before this one. I have access to several, but you know how that goes - as soon as I needed it - it was tied up. One part of my business that I hope to grow is skid steer work. I have a large equipment trailer that enables me to carry several implements at one time - so I needed a truck to be able to handle the load. Often I need to take materials with me - so being able to dump is a big plus.
I have a dedicated maintenance truck now. It is a two door truck, so on larger projects - I can fit everybody in the two trucks.
The dovetail on the new truck just makes that truck a little more versatile. I can do anything with the new truck that I could with the maintenance truck, but with a few minutes of work - I can have a flatbed, a leaf box truck, a dump truck or whatever.

I know that answer was sorta all over the place, but in short - versatility.

Best of luck with everything this year!!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amazing, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. That's what is so great about these new manufacturing companies, they are really pushing the envelope in terms of versatility... I actually used to work, and still put in some hours at a skid steer sales/service establishment (garfield's cousin)...(get it?) ...(haha) So I have a lot of skid steer experience and having that truck with the removable dovetail is HUGE!!!!! It's just great seeing guys innovating and using it to their advantage. I have to say that for a strictly lawn maintenence crew.... one of my favorite rigs are those new box trucks with the ramp(hydro? roll back?) They are large and there is also an auxillary dump bed in between the box and the cab for grass/dirt/mulch/stone? One guy on LS even posted one with an arm that dumped into the auxillary dump bed like a garbage collection truck! When I lived in Boston, I saw a company using one(not the arm one).... They dropped that ramp and came out buzzing with 4 walker 48's and 2 guys on the trimmers and that was for sure impressive... Good luck to you and everyone else as well this year too and just gotta say again that I think that truck is sweeeeeeet
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Sir! Tell the cousin that I am still saving up money - One day I will have one!!!
I would love to have one of the versions of the box trucks like you are talking about - they are VERY nice. I'll keep working towards that. If that crew with the 4 Walkers come with the truck - I will be knocking on the bank's door in the morning!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HaHa! Just to let you know, not sure how it works down in your neck of the woods but at the dealership that I work at, we also have a rental shop and ALL of our rental fleet is for sale at all times... Now, I know you are thinking "Rental Machines?, this guy is nuts!" However, there are some gems in our fleet that are significantly lower in cost than new ones and it is really a good way to get a great deal.. Sure, people beat on rental stuff but you know for a fact that the machine is going to be well maintained and taken care (wash downs and full service after every rental).. And I don't think we could say the same for a machine that was being sold by a landscape/excavation/construction company or individual...
Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Armsden

You couldn't be more right about the rental stuff! I will have to keep that in mind for the future. I have a John Deere 320 right now. I knew the guy who bought it new and I was able to see the service records, so I felt good about buying it.
I will be picking your brain if / when the time comes for another purchase!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love those 320's!! Super responsive! And any questions you have just lemme know... And, actually, I would love to pick your brain as well. I have a new thread up in this category(trucks/trailers) and I would love to know what you think.....