Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a great place to get fantastic advice on your website. If you look back through some of the threads you will see it's a very helpful and civil place (rare on a public forum).

Most of the people here have spent many hours, over the course of months, writing and re-writing content. We agonize over the best way to appeal to our customers and the search gods. I have friends that have hunted down landscapers that had ripped their copy and threatened legal action. You REALLY don't want to go there.

Take some time to write your own content. If it is INSPIRED by others- fine. When you have that worked out everyone here will be very happy to help. If you have any questions about writing your own copy feel free to DM me.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I get the point of what is being said and will just leave it at that. I would venture to say, not many people have a "totally original, the idea was all mine" site made up, but I get it. I am not going to get into a pissing contest with certain people, but thanks for the constructive information.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe we should request a sticky on "Duplicate Content"?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Maybe we should request a sticky on "Duplicate Content"?
It's in process. Was hoping to be done with it by now but have been swamped.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwoodall View Post
I would venture to say, not many people have a "totally original, the idea was all mine" site made up....
I do.

My website has NO content or pictures that are not original to me and my camera. It can be done. I have not taken one thing from another site.

I'm no web artist and frankly, I don't have the time to build one from scratch. I also don't have 5-7k sitting around for someone to build an maintain a truly professional one with all the right fancy features. One day, but not now.

I suggest you do what I did and try Weebly. www.weebly.com

You'll have to pay, but it's worth it. Spend some time with their web templates and built-in, drag n drop features, and you'll come up with something decent looking and functional.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks perfectearth
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwoodall View Post
I get the point of what is being said and will just leave it at that. I would venture to say, not many people have a "totally original, the idea was all mine" site made up, but I get it. I am not going to get into a pissing contest with certain people, but thanks for the constructive information.
Hm. A dozen main pages for my website and just over 400 blog posts, no content stolen from anyone else. Yeah, it can be done.

Ignoring how unethical you have to be to lift someone else's work and claim it as your own, you miss a huge opportunity to differentiate your business from your competition if you're saying (verbatim) the exact same things they are.

Some of us enjoy writing. If you don't, hire someone who does. I have a friend who's a freelance copywriter, and at $30-50 per page it's cheap money well spent.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a college degree and will write my own information that I have learned from the internet, books and life experience. Thanks so much.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool. And even though you didn't ask, I had a thought.

The second I looked at your picture I knew the career your were leaving behind was law enforcement, probably as a detective. Between your unsmiling photo and the formality of the text, you're pretty intimidating. I think you can relax it a bit, while still talking about your past career. In fact, if you can talk about it as your roots in the community and public service, you have a compelling story. Do something with a charity that works with either law enforcement or military families and you have a heck of a story. Without a lot of effort, you've done what you thought you couldn't do: you've created an original angle.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Papercutter, I really appreciate that comment. I have thought about that myself, so apparently that could be an issue I need to fix. Thanks again.