Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

wright stander weld or new deck?

I'm brand new to this site and looking for some advice. I have a 32" stander that my guys have torn off about 6" off the left side of the deck. I have about 300 hours on the 17HP Kawasaki I put on last year. A new deck installed is somewhere around $1,200. Has anyone had any success having these decks patched (new piece welded in)? Does anyone know a place where I can order the deck myself? Many thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fix it! I weld em' up all the time! But I gotta tell ya, as hard as them guys ( the Mexicans) run em, I ain't never had one torn up like what you describe!!
Take it to a welding shop if ya can't do it yourself.

......AMF!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobloc View Post
I'm brand new to this site and looking for some advice. I have a 32" stander that my guys have torn off about 6" off the left side of the deck. I have about 300 hours on the 17HP Kawasaki I put on last year. A new deck installed is somewhere around $1,200. Has anyone had any success having these decks patched (new piece welded in)? Does anyone know a place where I can order the deck myself? Many thanks!
Do you have pictures of this? I have seen cracking and other things. But 6" ripped off....never saw that. If there is a section of the deck ripped off and gone as you are saying, I would recommend replacing it.

You can order the deck from any Wright dealer. The deck prices went way up about 1.5 years ago. 32-36" deck shells used to be like 230-250 MSRP. Now they are like 550-625 or something. I havent looked one up recently after the latest price changes.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Great Dane Super Surfer (The one in my picture). It is very similar to your stander. Last year I removed the deck, welded all the cracks, and had it sandblasted. It is like new. I now do my own welding now but last year I didn't. The entire repair including the sandblasting was less the $300. I am currently repairing a Kubota deck that has a hole in it big enough to put my fist through. Your deck is very much worth saving.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Many thanks Big Fish. I can't weld but I have a guy who's local. I'll bring it to him and see what he thinks. Yeah, lots of small properties here - they crash them into the house foundations and jump them over curbs whenever I'm not looking. I've got 2 scags with holes on the sides too. Maybe I'll bring all three over and see if I can get a volume discount.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Do you have pictures of this? I have seen cracking and other things. But 6" ripped off....never saw that. If there is a section of the deck ripped off and gone as you are saying, I would recommend replacing it.

You can order the deck from any Wright dealer. The deck prices went way up about 1.5 years ago. 32-36" deck shells used to be like 230-250 MSRP. Now they are like 550-625 or something. I havent looked one up recently after the latest price changes.
I wish my deck was that cheap. I am currently restoring a Kubota gf 1800 60" deck because a new deck skin is over $2600.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

pug's - thanks, i'll try and get a pic up tomorrow. It's just the side of the deck but yeah, pretty nice sized hole. It was small but they got it caught on something and tore it back bad.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Many thanks Big Fish. I can't weld but I have a guy who's local. I'll bring it to him and see what he thinks. Yeah, lots of small properties here - they crash them into the house foundations and jump them over curbs whenever I'm not looking. I've got 2 scags with holes on the sides too. Maybe I'll bring all three over and see if I can get a volume discount.
Yeah, you shouldn't even have to pull the deck off. Just scrape all the old grass etc off of it, so the welder doesn't whine too much.
If you have an old mulch plate laying around, it might could be used to fab a patch panel, but most welding shops should have material.

......AMF!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

hotdog - good idea on the sandblasting too - might as well have it look new if it's getting patched up. I'll check and see if the welder will do that too!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
hotdog - good idea on the sandblasting too - might as well have it look new if it's getting patched up. I'll check and see if the welder will do that too!
BAD idea!!! If you're gonna sandblast it you better strip the deck nekkid and remove it from the frame.

......AMF!

Tags
wright stander