Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Authorship and duplicate content.

I know sometimes it is hard to believe but search engines love original content. Not going into the history of the Internet gold rush but there is good reason why the search engines want to punish copied content but now that also do not want to punish the publisher just because their content was copied.

I believe authorship will go a long way helping your ranking. I think it also will go a long way toward helping protect your creative works too.

I know google wants you to verify your sites and authorship via google plus pages. However, I think bing and facebook are looking for the site to verify internally.

Anyone else here much about the dynamics and how this might play out?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that if you just want some protection from the "cut and pasters" that the rel=publisher tag and canonical tag should help.

If you are involved in content marketing then you also need to set up Authorship.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Headz- You inspired me to start the thread based on your of your responses to someone else.

It is not too hard to do the authorship deal if you use webmaster tools, analitics and google plus.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have it set up. I like it. I am really curious to see what happens when AuthorRank gets rolled into the algorithm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suspect google will rank verified original content higher. If you include some some micro data to the content, submit it to the index then good pages will no longer get dragged down when people steal content. They are very unlikely to grab the microdata and if they do, then it would be a republish and push up rankings. My hope anyway.

I did read something about bing and facebook not recognizing authorship from a 3rd party site however.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Not to throw too much confusion into the thread, but Google also relies heavily on personalized search results. If you stay logged into your google account whenever you search and click the results google is recording it all, they use that click data to determine which results are quality and relevant. If you use G+ and have people in your "circles" then whenever you search for a result the influence of your "circles" will determine the search results. Honestly I've been in SEO for the last decade and I have a hard time keeping up with the changes. I don't know how Google expects the average small business owner to keep up either.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDeveloper View Post
Not to throw too much confusion into the thread, but Google also relies heavily on personalized search results. If you stay logged into your google account whenever you search and click the results google is recording it all, they use that click data to determine which results are quality and relevant. If you use G+ and have people in your "circles" then whenever you search for a result the influence of your "circles" will determine the search results. Honestly I've been in SEO for the last decade and I have a hard time keeping up with the changes. I don't know how Google expects the average small business owner to keep up either.
This has been touched upon in other threads. Google will even say you have visited this site x times in since date.

It is good to get someone else to do a search for you from different region / ip and so forth just to make sure you are not influenced.

You can log out of google and clear cookies and wipe out internet temp files to get a better idea. Change browsers even but you still have to purge.

Google now says I have had 500 impressions so I kind of have to watch that and see what happens. I think I have placed my IP correctly in the filter but I am not 100% sure of that
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't want to repeat what as already been discussed here. So I appreciate the heads up from more experienced members.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, when setting up the facebook log in. I used two different browsers with cleared cache to get the links working.