Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
OK ill clarify this a bit... ive got the simple hand tools figures out... along with extra wire, solenoids, valve parts, and little pipe... what I'm needing opinions on OS the electronics... what kind of locater, and multimeter....I understand everyone has there likes and dislikes... which piece of equipement has the most capabilities so to speak....? Pro800... 521, 521a pro 700. And what about multimeters? Clamp? Just cheap regular multimeter... we virtually have 0 2 wire systems down here BTW to....
Posted via Mobile Device
Check the pm i sent you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=259362
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I am following this thread because, even though I do not presently have one, I can see myself getting one in the future. I am running into more times when I have a use for it. I am just saying I don't think it a necessary piece of equipment for someone just starting out. The few times I needed one I was able to borrow one from my irrigation parts supplier.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
I am following this thread because, even though I do not presently have one, I can see myself getting one in the future. I am running into more times when I have a use for it. I am just saying I don't think it a necessary piece of equipment for someone just starting out. The few times I needed one I was able to borrow one from my irrigation parts supplier.
I do not want to sound demeaning, but if you need to borrow a tool you need to OWN the tool especially if you want to call yourself a professional.

We do not have time nor want to waste the time driving to rent tools. We have 5 full-time service crews and each truck has:

RB, Hunter and TRC remotes
Mid-West 835 Test Kit (All my techs are certified testers)
Professional multi-meter and clamp meter
521 or Armada 800 locators (we also have a ditch witch 910 and a Rigid SR-20)
3 trucks have T3 Innovations Snap-Shots
Toner and valve actuator

I do not want to brag and I guess if anything I am proud of my service techs, the tools we have and the investments we have made. Once you get into real irrigation troubleshooting a locator is a MUST.

If you are not using a locator a few times a week, then you have to be serving mostly residential or very small commercials.

It sounds like you do allot of service work and this is not meant to put anyone down. Gear up, learn to use the tools and then you will watch your numbers soar.

I do like you comment about wires in the ground
Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Locating is very important in repairs, and installs. On installs we trace gas lines to confirm the dig service, and to locate cable etc. I also believe the degree of usefulness is regional. In Texas I am not sure you can call yourself an irrigator without one. This is because we scatter valves all over the yard in the middle of each zone, and the grass quickly covers the valve boxes. In a lot of other parts of the country valves are installed in a manifold, which would reduce the importance since that generally means a short wire run and the valves in one spot.

In Texas and some other states it is a must, some regions can probably get by without it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Locating is very important in repairs, and installs. On installs we trace gas lines to confirm the dig service, and to locate cable etc. I also believe the degree of usefulness is regional. In Texas I am not sure you can call yourself an irrigator without one. This is because we scatter valves all over the yard in the middle of each zone, and the grass quickly covers the valve boxes. In a lot of other parts of the country valves are installed in a manifold, which would reduce the importance since that generally means a short wire run and the valves in one spot.

In Texas and some other states it is a must, some regions can probably get by without it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. We rarely use ours here in CO. I have two older 521 locators for three people. Last year we used them 3 times, maybe 4. Prior to that, we may use them 1-2 times every year or two. So it wasn't worth having one for each truck. I got one very cheap, and another came with the fully stocked van I bought. If it wasn't for that, I may not have bought one. If a locator is rarely used, I think there are better tools to spend money on until you are at the point financially to afford one. I should have bought a remote long before a locator. If my company did a lot of large commercial work, it might come in handy more often.

Rarely needing one, also means we don't get continuous training on it, so we sometimes struggle with it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't mean to hijack this thread.
Dear Irrigation Contractor, You said you didnt mean to but you do sound demeaning.

But never mind. I do $90,000 of sprinkler repair work a year, so I am not a hack, but it is only a small part of the business. It is residential work and I am familiar with most of the properties. I am finding I could use a wire tracer as we are getting properties that are new to me as we continue to grow. I suppose 3 or 4 times a year it would be helpful to have a wire tracer. Most of the valves are together in a manfold. But hispanic crews from Texas have mowed here and are placing valves all over the place making finding them more difficult.

I agree it is time to get a tracer. I am looking at a 521A or a Pro800. Any advice on which one to buy. We won't use one much, so easy to use is of primary importance.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
I am not a hack
Didn't Richard Nixon say that when he bailed out ?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Didn't Richard Nixon say that when he bailed out ?
I didn't know Nixon did sprinklers? Musta been a side job
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

only took him 18 minutes or so