Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

2012 deere z925a

Been looking for left over 930 with 60" deck. Came across new 925 24.5 hp with 60 inch deck. Used to be 27 hp under old ratings, and the price is right. But wondered if I would be dissapointed with power compared to 930.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rungreen View Post
Been looking for left over 930 with 60" deck. Came across new 925 24.5 hp with 60 inch deck. Used to be 27 hp under old ratings, and the price is right. But wondered if I would be dissapointed with power compared to 930.
Hey your not Ridin Greens little brother are you? Just kidding.. Should be ok as long as you're not running a vac bagger or tackling steep hills it might slow down or bog on steep properties but should be ok ..
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rungreen View Post
I ran a Z720 two years ago. Back then, it was rated at 25 HP, now the same machine is rated at 21.9 or 22.5 depending on the source you get the rating from. It had a 60" deck and ran it with ease, even in thick grass and up hills. I replaced it last year with a Z950 with the 60" MOD deck.

mowerbrad here on LS has the same machine you are looking at, only with a 54" deck, and he runs his with a rear bagger with no problems. The 930 is only one HP more, and both use the same FX850 engine. They just have different throttle plate stops in them, which is what gives the 930 more HP.

I wouldn't hesitate if it is a great price.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Hey your not Ridin Greens little brother are you? Just kidding.. Should be ok as long as you're not running a vac bagger or tackling steep hills it might slow down or bog on steep properties but should be ok ..
No, I'm the younger brother in my family.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Taking what riding has said, that means you can swap out the throttle sway plates and be fine, or am I thinking its easier said than done?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is pretty easy to do. There are threads here and in the homeonwer section that explain how to do it.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yes, it is pretty easy to do. There are threads here and in the homeonwer section that explain how to do it.
Good to know, there is a leftover down at the dealer with the 60" MOD. Hoping I have the cash to pick it up

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I ran a Z720 two years ago. Back then, it was rated at 25 HP, now the same machine is rated at 21.9 or 22.5 depending on the source you get the rating from. It had a 60" deck and ran it with ease, even in thick grass and up hills. I replaced it last year with a Z950 with the 60" MOD deck.

mowerbrad here on LS has the same machine you are looking at, only with a 54" deck, and he runs his with a rear bagger with no problems. The 930 is only one HP more, and both use the same FX850 engine. They just have different throttle plate stops in them, which is what gives the 930 more HP.

I wouldn't hesitate if it is a great price.
I sure would of thought it would be underpowered with a bagger or on steep inclines, but hey you're the man on the J D's...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I sure would of thought it would be underpowered with a bagger or on steep inclines, but hey you're the man on the J D's...
It may be a little light on power on steep inclines with the bagger, but mowerbrad has always said it does fine unless he's mowing a steep grade and bagging heavy, thick grass.

Like I said though, he has a 54" deck. I doubt there's that much difference between the 54" and 60" where power drain is concerned under most conditions.

I don't want to mislead anyone. Just state my experiences and those of guys I know who run that machine. It's always best to at least try to demo before you buy. Kinda hard to do here today with all the ice and all
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It may be a little light on power on steep inclines with the bagger, but mowerbrad has always said it does fine unless he's mowing a steep grade and bagging heavy, thick grass.

Like I said though, he has a 54" deck. I doubt there's that much difference between the 54" and 60" where power drain is concerned under most conditions.

I don't want to mislead anyone. Just state my experiences and those of guys I know who run that machine. It's always best to at least try to demo before you buy. Kinda hard to do here today with all the ice and all
I know what you mean about the weather. Almost 70 here today in Southern Indiana and calling for snow showers Friday and freezing temps...