Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
I bit the bullet last fall and got one toward the end of clean up season. biggest mistake I made was waiting so long and doing huge cleanups with piddly ass equipment. just get the right stuff the first time, you'll never be upset that you have too much power, but will be pissed when it takes forever to do a cleanup
Yep I made the same mistake trying to save a few bucks in the beginning, I'll not buy anything smaller than a 600 again when it comes to BP blowers you can't have enough power if you don't need it just throttle down but when fall comes you'll want the biggest baddest blower you can get.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a mid size blower and be sure to get a 2 stroke not 4-mix. YOu will have a piece of equipment that will last a long time. If you prefer stihl then get the BR420 proven to be just about the best overall. Resist the input to go with the biggest unit on th market. They are costly to run and still not proven
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A 420 is great during the regular season we even get by with a 380 but come fall you'll need that 600! why not just buy once, get the 600 and be done with it, it is a proven blower, the husky 580 is not, but it is too heavy anyway.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree^ Can't go wrong with the Stihl BR-600. Paid around $500 for mine. Fantastic for cleanups, very powerful, lightweight, and very comfortable. Best thing is, I half choke the thing everytime, and 99% of the time it fires right up on the first pull. Better than I can say about the MS290 "Farm B*tch"..but thats another story.

If you go for the BR-600 you won't regret it!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna 125b handheld blower is a GREAT blower to start with ($150)

Nobody is going to start with a $500 blower. Start with a handheld, backpacks are great for leaf clean up and jobs like that.

For cleaning off sidewalks / driveways the Husqvarna 125b is hard to beat. Super powerful, uses very little fuel, and very lightweight. AND that is coming from someone who owns all Stihl!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to be doing leaf clean-ups spend the $500 to begin with and you won't have to upgrade later. I started with an Echo PB500T and it's just not enough power unless you're not doing cleanups.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree I guess it depends on your startup budget, I actually started with a $79 poulan handheld blower but I didn't have the any kind of leaf cleanup capabilities and even sidewalk cleaning was less than desirable, and it lasted all of a few months and I was buying my stihl 380, I think I paid $350 for it, still no leaf cleaning cpabilities, then fall rolled around and I started getting calls for leaf cleanups, It took less than one job to realize I had to have a 600 or I was going to lose my shirt on these jobs. so now I had almost a grand in blowers when had I just bought the 600 from the get go I would have only $500 in blowers. So which way is the smartest way? from that point on I only bought the tools that were going to get the job done and then some, no more trying to sqeeze every lil penny out every dollar. Not to the point that I am wastful but just mindful.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spending the extra money to begin with on the $500 blower will get paid for in a day, 2 days at the most when you can cut your time in half and are able to do multiple leaf cleanup jobs in a day. IMO if you're not doing cleanups then most any commercial blower will do.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Spending the extra money to begin with on the $500 blower will get paid for in a day, 2 days at the most when you can cut your time in half and are able to do multiple leaf cleanup jobs in a day. IMO if you're not doing cleanups then most any commercial blower will do.
How do you think we did leaf cleanup before backpack blowers were invented?I can cut your time in half by doing clean-ups the simple way Don't go tell somebody to blow that much money on a blower when there are far more important stuff.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you buy an inferior product when for a couple hundred more you can buy a product that will cut your time and make you more money? Makes no sense. I thought like you when I bought an inferior blower. When I saw the money I was losing I upgraded. It's just simple math.
Posted via Mobile Device